Author Topic: Lancashire Lad Pea News  (Read 8496 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Lancashire Lad Pea News
« on: July 30, 2010, 10:36:54 »
The Heritage Seed Library newsletter has just dropped on the doormat.  

Several members here are growing and treasuring a fine, purple podded, tall growing pea variety called 'Lancashire Lad'.

Seeds originated from the Heritage Seed Library, but have been swapped widely outside too.  The original seed for this purple variety was sent in response to an effort by the Heritage Seed Library to save older, non-commercial varieties from extinction called 'The Seed Search Programme'.

However, it turns out from even older records that Lancashire Lad is actually a green podded pea.  Heritage Seed Library have updated their records, withdrawn the purple variety and are actively looking for seeds of the 'real' Lancashire Lad.

Meanwhile the purple podded former Lancashire Lad maybe nameless now, but it remains worth growing and maintaining for future generations.

aj

• Hectare
Re: Lancashire Lad Pea News
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 10:48:45 »
The Heritage Seed Library newsletter has just dropped on the doormat.  

Several members here are growing and treasuring a fine, purple podded, tall growing pea variety called 'Lancashire Lad'.

Seeds originated from the Heritage Seed Library, but have been swapped widely outside too.  The original seed for this purple variety was sent in response to an effort by the Heritage Seed Library to save older, non-commercial varieties from extinction called 'The Seed Search Programme'.

However, it turns out from even older records that Lancashire Lad is actually a green podded pea.  Heritage Seed Library have updated their records, withdrawn the purple variety and are actively looking for seeds of the 'real' Lancashire Lad.

Meanwhile the purple podded former Lancashire Lad maybe nameless now, but it remains worth growing and maintaining for future generations.

Interesting; as I have Lancs Lad rogues in my purple lancs lads and have had for 2 years now; I saved them separately this year and will let HSL have some when I'm back in the office.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 12:06:49 »
Did you remove the rogue seed and still got green podded plants from purple podded seeds?  Interesting.

It could also be that the seed source for the purple Lancashire Lad had mixed them up, or their donor had mixed them up decades ago.  It only takes one slip up and an error will be perpetuated.  Unfortunately there may have been only one or at best a few people growing this variety before the Heritage Seed Library became involved.

So many traditional varieties are only being maintained by a single seed saver.  And if that seed saver is not growing them for a few years, any remaining seeds will be dead, variety extinct!  And if that seed saver slips up, the mistake will be carried over.  Fortunately it is now easier to keep photographic records with digital cameras which should help.  And very soon DNA testing too, hopefully.

All my 'NOT Lancashire Lads',  (swapped at Hants Potato Day with a note to say that they came from HSL originally), were purple podded by the way.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 12:22:18 »
In all honesty, I think last year one or two may have been saved with the purple ones, but this year I was meticulous. Quite glad I was now!

I'll go and compare the seed and let Rachel know what happened with mine when I'm back in the office; we don't usually talk about seeds at coffee break!

robw349

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 01:52:15 »
Hi
Does anyone still have any of the purple pea seeds formerly known as Lancashire Lad?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 07:49:08 »
I'm pretty sure I have some, not sure of the age of seed till I check later today or maybe tomorrow  :happy7:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 16:53:21 »
I'm pretty sure I have some, not sure of the age of seed till I check later today or maybe tomorrow  :happy7:

Yes, but a little old - from 2010 and due for a grow-out in 2014.  I should have fresh seeds for you next year.

I fully expect these to germinate but maybe Jayb's are not so old.  Either way, you are welcome.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 18:40:05 »
Any chance of a few? I'll be looking for the 'new' Lancashire Lad next. What do we call the old ones, Purple Lancashire Lad?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 19:48:35 »
Any chance of a few? I'll be looking for the 'new' Lancashire Lad next. What do we call the old ones, Purple Lancashire Lad?

Makes sense - 'Purple Lancashire Lad' it is.  At least it should be easy to understand which one is meant.  I'll stick some in the post.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 21:04:30 »
We have some saved from a couple of years ago, but certainly not grow any out this year or last.
 :wave:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 17:56:06 »
Makes sense - 'Purple Lancashire Lad' it is.  At least it should be easy to understand which one is meant.  I'll stick some in the post.

Thanks.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 07:34:30 »
pm sent

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal