Author Topic: Seed Saving tips  (Read 6412 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Seed Saving tips
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 14:55:22 »
Some great replies and tips folks   8)

Supermarkets are selling hessian bags for a quid a time, which are just the job for drying plants out, and should last for years.

That's a great idea - I have a copule of the co-op cotton bags that are frankly on their last legs so I can put them to some use later on

Jeannine, as ever great info! And TeeGee - thanks for the link, a good reminder there, and the template  :)

Galina - strangely enough I'm saving lettuce and peas  :) And have just bought Suzanne Ashworth's book, have only had a flick through it yet tho. And I hadn't realised Sue Stickland had written on the subject - so more winter reading for me!

Be aware that saving seed is addictive

No hope for me then!!

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 15:04:07 »
My father in law froze tomato seed from the plants that I gave him last year and he had 100% sucess rate.  I had never heard of freezing seeds before has anyone else?

Yes. It's called 'the winter'. Lots of seeds need to be vernalised before they will germinate; and some need heating before they will germinate [called conditioning].

Tomato seeds left out all winter in soil will germinate when it is warm enough in the spring with no help from us!

Sally A

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 16:30:02 »
I'm a serial tomato seed fermenter, I even save small jars just for the job.  I love to see things blooping on my windowsill, the trick is to start them off with warm water to dissolve the gelatinous coating, let thme froth up for a few days, leave the lid on loosely so the gas can get out, replenish the water 3 or 4 times and then dry out on a saucer.

Much nicer if you intend to seed swap as it leaves the seeds clean, saying that, seeds in the form of a dollop of gloop on a kitchen towel work equally well, just a bit fiddly picking them apart come sowing time: so spread them out, singly if possible, then you can plant seed plus a bit of tissue.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 16:38:38 »
Great thread, 1066, thanks for starting it.  I've only just started saving anything other than beans, but I'm struggling with radish.....am I right in thinking they should set pods a bit like a small wallflower? I don't know if I've missed mine (from radish sown February) or if I'm looking for the wrong thing.....

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 17:11:23 »
Radish is a brassica and the flower shape and plant formation is similar to any other brassica that has gone to seed.

Usually the only difference is; the flowers are white rather than yellow.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 17:20:52 »
Great thread, 1066, thanks for starting it.  I've only just started saving anything other than beans, but I'm struggling with radish.....am I right in thinking they should set pods a bit like a small wallflower? I don't know if I've missed mine (from radish sown February) or if I'm looking for the wrong thing.....

Tiny radishes grow very big - up to 6ft and even bigger - when they are flowering, you can't miss that, it is quite spectacular!.  I needed to tie mine up firmly onto tomato spirals, they are  so big.  After flowering they develop fat seedpods, not thin like wall flowers or other brassica.  These fat seed pods are good to eat in salads or stirfry when they are young, they are milder than a radish, but still have a little 'bite'.  Later these pods turn greyish brown and get papery/woody.  When they are crackly dry, the seeds inside are ready (with a bit more drying).  Does this help?  

I had problems getting collards to set seeds this year.  With the drought their flowers shrivelled to nothing and never developed seed pods.  Could this have happened to your radishes?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 17:31:17 by galina »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 18:39:07 »
Yes, it's the best way if you've got freezer space. Seed banks use it.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 18:57:28 »
Real seeds provide some worthwhile information with links to a pdf and more.

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html

hth

Another online seed saving ressource is the information from the International Seed Saving Institute
http://www.seedsave.org/issi/issi_904.html

small

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 20:28:39 »
galina - thanks for that.  I reckon they shrivelled in the heat because there's no sign of what you describe. I'll pull that lot up and try with a few of my next sowing.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 08:43:11 »
I love to see things blooping on my windowsill,

I love the word blooping  ;D And the jars of seeds will make interesting window decorations  :D

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 19:47:33 »
Can I save some seeds from my Patty Pan?

If I can do I have to let one of them grow big or could I take seeds at any time?

Many thanks,

Sinbad

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 19:56:25 »
It depends on which one it is. can you tell me the name? If it is a hybrid it won't come true, but if not certainly you can.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 20:02:53 »
Oh Jeannine I don't know what it is as a plot holder gave me the plant.  I did ask him what it was the other day,  but he said it was special as he gets the seed sent from home.

He comes from the West Indies and said they come in 3 colours, white, yellow and green.  I have the yellow one.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 20:09:48 »
Ok, well it could be or not some are are others not, so go ahead and  follow the seed saving tips I did earlier. If hybrids they won't be true  but they may be interesting. If not hybrids you will know the first time you grow them.Be careful they don't get pollinated with another squash that may be growing near by and only take seeds from very mature fruit, so let one grow on.

Good Luck,

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 20:18:10 »
Many thanks Jeannine.  Really looking forward to trying it.

Sinbad

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal