Author Topic: Gherkins/Cuecumbers  (Read 1054 times)

samela

• Not So New ...
Gherkins/Cuecumbers
« on: August 02, 2010, 16:08:11 »
Hi All,

My gherkins have got a little out of control and are enormous! I've never grown them before and wondered if I can eat them as cuecumbers?  If not, what on earth can I do with them? 

Thanks in advance
Sam

Chrispy

• Hectare
Re: Gherkins/Cuecumbers
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 17:12:38 »
A gherkin is not a gherkin until it is pickled, up until then it is a cucumber and you can eat it just like a cucumber.

If they have started to go yellow, then they are too ripe and will be bitter, so just chuck them, but otherwise just give them a go.

I am having the same problem, they only seem to be the right size of pickling for just 1 day, and my 5 plants don't seem to produce enough at any one time to have enough to pickle ???
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 17:51:37 »
The first "gherkin" I got from my plant was a whopper.  I was right at the bottom under some leaves so we didn't notice it.  We ate it as a cucumber.  Very nice !!!

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 19:12:16 »
I have grown gherkins for the first time and am eating them as cucumbers. They are excellent tasting with crisp texture. The advantage in the North is that the crop starts some 4 weeks before my cucumbers in the greenhouse, and they are even producing outside quite freely. I might not bother with cucumbers next year.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 20:11:59 »
They are cucumbers, just little ones specifically for pickling. I often grow these types instead of regulars as they are small.

For pickling you need to use them straight from the plant which is difficult if you onle have a couple. I usually go about 2 dozen plants when I want to make Kosher pickled cukes. There is a way you can make a crock that you add new ones to everyday, would you like me to look it up for you.I have it in a book somewhere.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 20:14:34 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal