Author Topic: Leeks - how do you get the holes dug deep for planting out.  (Read 9979 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Leeks - how do you get the holes dug deep for planting out.
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 19:14:18 »
I tried that with a bulb planter, and the soil got more and more compacted till it wouldn't move at all. Maybe it depends on the soil.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 15:53:33 »
I had that problem with one of those lawn aerators that works the same way...doesn't work on heavy clay and of course that is the soil that needs aerating the most.

I find with lots of leeks to plant my dibber gives me blisters even wearing gloves.

gypsy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 10:07:05 »
I use the handle of the rake I used to level the soil. Just turn it upside down and  lean on the prongs to make the holes, it saves bending down with a dibber, less backache  :)

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 21:20:31 »
My bulb planter was the biggest waste of money ever.  It goies in okay but I can't get the dirt out of the middle. Have tried poking out with sticks, trowel etc but to no avail.   Any ideas?
The earth core from the first hole gets pushed out as you push the planter into the soil to make the second one, and carry on down the row :)

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 23:32:07 »
I'm with gypsy using the back of a rake (or hoe). Quick, cheap and made for the job. The handle can be turned until the hole stays together. Then pop in the leek, fill hole with water and job done. :icon_cheers:

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 10:36:46 »
I used a pencil  :happy7:
Located in Royston, North Herts.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 12:36:56 »
I find that the dibber compacts the ground too much too.  Now I just use a spade.  Put the spade in vertically to a whole spade depth, rock back and forth to create a V shaped narrow hole, move to the side and continue along the row.  Then place the leeks in at regular intervals and water the sides of the V to knock enough soil off the sides to cover the roots.  The only problem with this way is that sometimes the leeks fall over sideways and get buried, it's better to water them in while holding them up with the other hand ... but even if they fall over they normally push themselves upright in a few weeks.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2017, 11:48:48 »
I use a dibber made from a spade handle but when I was a garden boy parsnips and leeks were  planted in large holes made with a pitcher. Last time before we moved our cat thought each leek needed to be watered in.!! :BangHead:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2017, 18:40:51 »
Now on the no-dig regime, the leeks followed broad beans. With the compost layer down to 25mm, simply took the (otherwise resting*) digging fork, plunged in to full depth 150mm and wriggled sideways a little. Because the plan is big leeks(?), then planted a trimmed leek into every other tine hole, that's about 100mm centres. Eased in to depth, 100mm approx with a pencil sized cane. Watered in.
They will be lightly earthed up in early September.
* It is likely to be used to ease out the crop, but not digging!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2017, 18:56:44 »
i use no dig just use my finger
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

hartshay

• Not So New ...
  • Growing slowly
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2017, 00:23:35 »
I never bother with the hole and dibber method.  Stick spade in ground, lever a wedge out, drop in leek and take spade out... like foresters plant trees.    Farmers around here do much the same mechanically and they grow huge leeks...like me!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2017, 05:22:56 »
I use a dibber made from a spade handle but when I was a garden boy parsnips and leeks were  planted in large holes made with a pitcher. Last time before we moved our cat thought each leek needed to be watered in.!! :BangHead:

Same here (minus the cat  :glasses9: - I go and fill the wholes with water from a watering can, no earth needed )

I broke a fork with a wooden handle a long time ago.  The D-grip and a tapered end on the wood makes for a very useful planting tool.  Drive in and pull out straight for leeks, drive in and rotate for wider planting holes for tomato or squash plants.  I guess you'd have to water first on sandy soil or the hole will immediately fill itself. :wave: 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 18:41:01 »
I use a piece cut off a buddleia bush.  It is the shape of a large catapult or slingshot.  The arms can be wound round to make the hole. 

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 18:25:26 »
I usually use a dibber but have taken note the comment from squeezyjohn and will try another way next year
Barnsley S Yorks

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2017, 21:44:33 »
Now on the no-dig regime, the leeks followed broad beans. With the compost layer down to 25mm, simply took the (otherwise resting*) digging fork, plunged in to full depth 150mm and wriggled sideways a little. Because the plan is big leeks(?), then planted a trimmed leek into every other tine hole, that's about 100mm centres. Eased in to depth, 100mm approx with a pencil sized cane. Watered in.
They will be lightly earthed up in early September.
* It is likely to be used to ease out the crop, but not digging!

Photo 30/09/17
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal