Author Topic: Leeks - how do you get the holes dug deep for planting out.  (Read 9974 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
I have been busy harvesting first year's efforts of spuds, carrots, courgettes -  (and thanks to everyone for their previous advice which has helped me get this far)  - so have been away from this site for a few months but come back with a typically "he must be kidding" type question........

I am planting out leeks (pencil thin) and have been told these need holes 6" deep and 2" diameter.  Now, it doesnt matter how much (or little) I wet the soil, everytime I try to dig one of these out, the sides start collapsing.  The soil structure is quite fine, no clay at all.  Also, the only tool I have for digging these is a bulb planter, and that will do about 4" deep max and the diameter also ends up about 4", and I cant believe these are optimal dimensions for the leeks to grow in.   Grateful for any advice on what others do to dig leek holes.
Many thanks.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Leeks - how do you get the holes dug deep for planting out.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:40:13 »
I use a dibber.  I got mine in the 99p shop.  I find I have to wet the soil thoroughly otherwise it falls straight back in, sometimes I have to dib several times.   In the garden where the soil is less stoney I  use a piece pruned off a buddleia bush.  It had a nice flat end and a handle.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:03:05 »
Hi Newspud

Digeroo is right - a dibber is what you need!  You can make your own using a broom handle or similar, and as digeroo says wet the soil so it doesn't collapse in to your hole!

What I do is trim the roots and tops of leaves - I take the roots back to about an inch long and the tops - just snip off the very top.  This makes it easier for the plant to sit "down" in the hole - rather than wobbling around on a jumble of roots.  The roots regrow quickly - so doesn't damage the plant.  When you have popped the plant into the hole you puddle in water into the hole so that the surrounding soil falls round the plant and holds it in.

Good luck with it!

Ann

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 11:33:37 »
I bought a spade/shovel handle to use as a dibber.   Saves my back as you don't have to bend so much and it goes in easier.   I push it in 6-8 inches.  Pour water in round the dibber and work the handle round to push the soil against the sides.  Drop the leek in and water again.    I go along making the holes first, then go along dropping the plants in, then water again.    My leeks do better since I adopted this method.  Best of luck.

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 12:43:42 »
Thanks for all your good advice - I knew I should have posted this earlier (i've already been struggling on my hands and knees doing 50 holes). Hopefully the next 50 will be a lot easier.   

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 13:26:30 »
There is a bit on 'dibbers' here; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Tools/Tools.htm although I have to admit my own dibber is the handle off an old spade /fork cut to a length that suits me!

n.b. click on pictures to enlarge!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 15:22:28 »
although I have to admit my own dibber is the handle off an old spade /fork cut to a length that suits me!

snap  ;D

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 15:29:42 »
stick dibber in water around it it stays then put leek in and water
i don't belive death is the end

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 17:15:22 »
Following on from this question, if the holes don't fill themselves in fully after a few weeks, do you fill them up or just leave them? Mine are growing fine but are sitting in slight hollows.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 17:45:55 »
Leave them.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 09:23:51 »
I have just been planting leeks like that! yes, water the ground first then when it is well soaked, push the instrument into the soil - i usually twist it round till the soil stays put around the hole. My tool is usually just a stick! or piece of bamboo. Then trim the leek roots and leaves and pop it in the hole. It doesn't have to be that deep. I usually earth up the leeks a bit as they grow, to get whiter leaves. Water well after planting. And Bob's your aunty!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 09:34:55 »
although I have to admit my own dibber is the handle off an old spade /fork cut to a length that suits me!

snap  ;D
double snap, AND some lovely person in the past re-inforced mine with steel round the point, it goes in a dream.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 20:04:05 »
To quote the Two Ronnies : - "four candles"
Use the end of an old broken one.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 22:23:03 »
I use a a bulb planter. Can't use a dibber, as it hurts my elbow too much.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 22:26:38 »
My bulb planter was the biggest waste of money ever.  It goies in okay but I can't get the dirt out of the middle. Have tried poking out with sticks, trowel etc but to no avail.   Any ideas?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 08:51:02 »
I use a heavy iron rod pointed at one end (old hop growing implement) for leek planting because however hard and dry the ground is, it pushes straight in, nice and deep. If the ground is too friable, I can move the rod around in the hole until the soil is a bit compacted, and quickly drop the leek in before the edges crumble again. I have found wooden dibbers too lightweight.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 09:07:25 »
This being my first season with veg, I had to be shown how to use a dibber and plant the leeks.  It has to be one ofmy favourite jobs.  I think next time I'll trim the roots though, as they were often the trickiest part.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 15:34:46 »
dib dib dib  ;D

I have an ancient victorian one that I use and it has different sizes at each end and I always secure my leeks with a bit of soil just to make sure nothing pulls them out of the ground easily

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 18:06:24 »
I use a long wrecking bar. It's a little on the narrow side, but it makes holes as deep as I need.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 18:59:26 »
My bulb planter was the biggest waste of money ever.  It goies in okay but I can't get the dirt out of the middle. Have tried poking out with sticks, trowel etc but to no avail.   Any ideas?

Yeah, let the next hole push the previous dirt out.

I have 3; one for the lottie, one for the garden and one for the car. All my teachers in the schools that I work in [my main point of contact] will be receiving one for Christmas this year.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal