Author Topic: Paths  (Read 1823 times)

Easywriter

• Quarter Acre
Paths
« on: July 27, 2010, 08:30:33 »
Hi everyone

The debate on my lottie site moves on from manure to paths between each plot. Grass seems to be the prescribed solution from the Parish Council, but I can't say I'd be keen on this myself. Grass grows (and so would have to be kept mown) and spreads. I think flagstones of some kind would be best - but these may not be available in 2 ft widths, or would have to be cut to size somehow (and then there's the cost).

I'd be in favour of stone chippings of some kind as the best compromise solution (or bark, but that would probably be blown/washed away in winter weather).

What do you guys do?
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Paths
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 08:36:59 »
Tony likes to dig through his paths now and again so I just put straw down in between the beds cos I don't like looking at bare soil. He don't like bark chippings either.(fussy B****r)
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 08:49:02 »
We have grass between plots.  Spreading is not too much of an issue but it is becoming covered in weeds particularly dandelions and clover.  It is mown as part of the deal, occassionally a plant near the edge gets damaged.  It does look quite nice especially when just mown.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:13:51 »
Grass paths between plots.  It doesn't seem to spread.  I does need cutting, but hasn't needed it for a ouple of months because of the drought.  Not everyone keeps their cut well though as it takes a mower/strimmer and that's a lot of faf.

Can't you do what you want?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:35:30 »
3x 2' flags but we were lucky, one of the allotment holders used to work for the council, when they started ripping up flags to tarmac footpaths, he had a word and we got 200 of them  ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:15:30 »
If you put chippings or bark down, the paths will still need maintenance, and weeds will emerge anyway, so I'd opt for the grass path option, not really that much maintenance involved, and cheap

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:29:23 »
Stone chippings might look nice for a while but would stick to muddy boots and get trodden everywhere.  At least bark is biodegradable so it doesnt matter if it ends up in the soil.

Flagstones would keep the mud down but check they arent slippery when wet.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 18:41:25 »
Stone chippings might look nice for a while but would stick to muddy boots and get trodden everywhere.  At least bark is biodegradable so it doesnt matter if it ends up in the soil.

Flagstones would keep the mud down but check they arent slippery when wet.

yes but as you say, bark biodegrades, so every year two or three needs renewing, an ongoing cost.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 19:08:49 »
we use free wopodchip from a local tree surgeon,only needs topping up once a year and is non slippy. dont walk on it in bare feet though,ouch!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 19:14:33 »
wopod chip

:o

Quickly googles 'wopod'

8) lol

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 20:32:04 »
We have grass.....its in our clause for each tenant to be responsible for maintenance; mowing, strimming, cutting. When its tidy I personally think it makes the allotment look neat and natural   :) That way it helps people to work together; an allotment community.......  :)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 20:33:07 »
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 20:54:10 »
Flag stones are my choice. expensive but often freebies if you watch freecyle, We had three paths on our lotties as we had two plots, we had flags round two of them  and then the man to the left off us used them too, but the man at the other side didn't want flags he preferred grass which we had to respect, problem was, he wouldn't do any maintenance on it because I didn't and wouldn't even allow it be levelled and re grassed. I wasn't able to walk on it as it was bumpy and uneven and I fell ,but  I was happy to provide the flags to prevent the maintenance. He said no, so the path became a real mess, I simply didn't use it, I always walked on the other sides which was safer for me, eventually the committee became involved and he was told to clean it up, it was explained to him that I had the flags down because I was unsteady on a grass path that was unlevel, his argument was that he liked it natural and was not interested in a pristine level surface and he would clip it if I did too..it went on for months. Then quite suddenly he left, by this time the whole plot was full of weeds and you couldn't see the path.The next person who came in promptly cleared the path and the plot and put flags down.

I have soil paths where I am now with weedblock and wood chips on, this is OK in the dry weather as quite impacted but I am nervous about it getting a problem in the wet.

I love the grass ones to look at but for me they were not serviceable.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 21:06:17 »
wopod chip

Quickly googles 'wopod'

8) lol
HA HA HA HA  ;D

LOL theres two people on Facebook, called  'Suzy Wopod' and 'Taylor Wopod'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal