Author Topic: How are everyones squashes doing  (Read 58921 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: How are everyones squashes doing
« Reply #260 on: September 16, 2010, 12:19:59 »
I have cut a lot of the leaves off to let the sunshine in that is if we get any more

Whats best to do cut them down or let them die down?
I still have one on the plant that needs to ripen up more.
Here we leave them on the vine until the vine collapses. Ideally til the stem is dry and brown. this year though I've cut some when just the leaves collapsed due to a schedule problem. But maybe there with all your wet weather there is more risk of rot?....maybe best to see what others say in your area.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #261 on: September 16, 2010, 12:40:07 »
Im in the south of England so definitely more chance of rain  ::)
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #262 on: September 16, 2010, 17:33:51 »

Cold night forecast for tomorrow so we brought them all home to let them cure. I have never had so many. The small ones on the left are Harrier so wont be growing them again. the large BN are from real seeds Waltham.The blue one are invincible pumpkin. Orangesunshine and Bonbon
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

oliveoyl_25

• Half Acre
« Reply #263 on: September 16, 2010, 17:56:08 »
V. Impressed at everyone's harvests (and a bit jealous). I've got Turk's Turban and some Butternuts almost ready to be snipped off.

I don't know what to do with 2 of my plants... they sulked for ages and only started to fruit about 5/6 weeks ago (Musquee De Provence)... the squashes (3 fruit on 2 plants) are quite big and healthy looking, but still no where near maturity, softish skins and dark green... I believe they turn paler and orange tinged when ripe.

What would the experts amongst you do, I'm North East Midlands btw.

I have 2 Delicata plants too, one didn't set a single fruit, and the other only started making one last week... as it's outside I think I can forget about that!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #264 on: September 16, 2010, 18:34:27 »
Is there any possibility of erecting a clear plastic sheet over the ones that aren't ripe- leaves, fruits and all- to gather some heat during the day and keep it warm at night?  I've used one of those push-together-metal frame zipper greenhouses- the cheap type that blows to pieces in the first wind- and put a sheet of plastic over it, tied with string around the middle to keep it from blowing off- and it has protected some tomatoes all season. Might work with squash though a bit of a bother.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #265 on: September 16, 2010, 21:51:48 »
Lovely photos Shirl and Mort  :)

I was wondering about getting some clear plastic as GA described, just to give the large ones that haven't ripened a bit more of a chance. I'm growing Muscade de provence as well oliveoyl_25 , 1st timer for me, and I keep checking on it to see if it is changing colour, but so far nothing. All I know is to bring them in before the 1st frosts are due, so not sure for your area. Maybe someone else up that way could help? If it hasn't ripened before the frosts I'll bring it in and it can sit on a sunny window sill (but will make sure to leave plenty of the stalk on)

1066  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #266 on: September 16, 2010, 22:03:55 »

Cold night forecast for tomorrow so we brought them all home to let them cure. I have never had so many. The small ones on the left are Harrier so wont be growing them again. the large BN are from real seeds Waltham.The blue one are invincible pumpkin. Orangesunshine and Bonbon
Shirl, I'd be interested to hear how you compare Sunshine and Bonbon on taste, please, when you get around to eating them.
That's a beautiful picture!

oliveoyl_25

• Half Acre
« Reply #267 on: September 16, 2010, 23:34:35 »
Thanks both.

What sort of minimum temperatures do they need to ripen - I can cover with fleece if they do need a bit of a snuggle, but covering with plastic would be a bit more problematical because my plot is quite exposed - when it's windy my plot gets it full force.

Is there a thread on here about favourite varieties? (planning for next year)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #268 on: September 16, 2010, 23:47:51 »
There are some lovely squashes on here.  I have a huge dark green BNS type squash variety napoli and it is enormous.  I think that just the one will last us for several weeks.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #269 on: September 17, 2010, 07:37:12 »
I've decided not to worry about a little light grass frost - seems it's only for a couple of nights and then it warms up again - where I am at least.

I was reading this from Illinois University....
It is important to note that pumpkin fruits can tolerate light frost that kill the vines only but more fruit loss can occur if the frost caused injury on the fruit surface as the damaged areas act as avenues for fungal and bacterial fruit rot pathogens. Remove pumpkins from the fields before the hard freeze (when the night temperatures are less than 27 degrees (F) or else you may risk losing 80-90 percent of the fruits.
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/gardenerscorner/issue_01/fall_04_04.html

The lowest forecast is 41 degrees F for tonight nothing like that cold.

Mind you, I might worry more if I hadn't bought lots of my babies home already  ::)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:53:48 by earlypea »

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #270 on: September 17, 2010, 07:43:38 »
Grannie Annie.We ate one of the sunshine because it broke off without a stem. I liked it enough to grow it next year.
As for bonbon, We grew it last year and it must have been ok cos I asked Betty for a plant that turned out to be a Boston. When I do try the one that she gave me off her frame I will let you know how it compares with the sunshine.
The sunshine is a faster fruiting squash and also faster maturing but I did lose 2 to the dreaded slush whatever it was. It has proved to be a good squash for our climate here in iffy uk
                             I want em saying

oliveoyl_25

• Half Acre
« Reply #271 on: September 17, 2010, 11:19:05 »
Hopefully the temps aren't going to get quite that chilly... forecast here is for lows of around 4c for the next couple of nights, then warming up again.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #272 on: September 18, 2010, 07:48:18 »
Well my Bonbon squash that turned out to be Boston has gone to a good home. It was bigger than me and Tone so we gave it to the Cats protection league lady who is going to do all sorts of different things with it. ;D. She make chutneys and jams and stuff to sell at open days and shows to fund the CPL. She also celebrates thanksgiving so some of it will be used in a pie.
                             I want em saying

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #273 on: September 18, 2010, 09:43:12 »
I'm praying that the cold last night hasn't hurt the fruits on the plot in Oxford.... Here in Swindon it was OK..... Will be taking some of them out today (just ab out to set off in fact) ..... which reminds me, I need ot get in contact with the local Sikh temple to see if they can use the monsters (The Boston for starters is too big for anything eane ).... as far as I know all Sikh temples run a charity kitchen to feed the poor/homeless (regardless of religion) ....

chrisc

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #274 on: September 18, 2010, 16:17:28 »
This is my first lot of squashes that I've harvested today ;D
[attachment=1]
I've still got Black Futsu, more Q.Blue, more Harlequin(?) and some others 'no-name' squashes (wrongly labelled seed stock ::)) to pick bit later on...oh I wish the weather will keep warm enough for couple of more weeks.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #275 on: September 18, 2010, 18:06:22 »
Now that is a beautiful assortment goodlife.
                             I want em saying

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #276 on: September 19, 2010, 14:51:00 »
Grannie Annie.We ate one of the sunshine because it broke off without a stem. I liked it enough to grow it next year.
As for bonbon, We grew it last year and it must have been ok cos I asked Betty for a plant that turned out to be a Boston. When I do try the one that she gave me off her frame I will let you know how it compares with the sunshine.
The sunshine is a faster fruiting squash and also faster maturing but I did lose 2 to the dreaded slush whatever it was. It has proved to be a good squash for our climate here in iffy uk
You might want to try growing "Confection F1" sometime if you haven't already. We had one the other evening (actually a couple meals from it). They're about the same size as Sunshine but the flavor, no joke, is like a sweet potato. I think if you blindfolded someone and served them this mashed up they would not be able to tell the difference. It is much sweeter than our butternuts and has a starchy sort of feel to it and no stringiness.  They are also the same deep orange inside (but dk green outside so not as pretty on the vine as the shiny orange Sunshine.)  Now I must do a comparison taste test of the two (but that's an awful lot of cooked squash at one time!). The plants are more compact than butternut also, but here we have borer problems with them so will have to somehow enclose them next year. 

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #277 on: September 19, 2010, 18:15:38 »
Will look out for that one GA. I am enjoying this squash growing. Does it become addictive would you say?????? :-\
                             I want em saying

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #278 on: September 19, 2010, 18:22:45 »
I am really hooked Shirl ~ I started growing them about three years ago and now I am a squash addict :-[

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #279 on: September 19, 2010, 21:51:39 »
Will look out for that one GA. I am enjoying this squash growing. Does it become addictive would you say?????? :-\

yes....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal