Author Topic: How are everyones squashes doing  (Read 58915 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: How are everyones squashes doing
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2010, 13:22:05 »
I would feel bound to try to out wit it but feel sure it is has all been done.I have wrapped in aluminum foil when a plant has had an accident and the stalk nearly broken through but that is all. I wonder if Saran Wrap might be doable. or the self clinging wrap you buy to put round thread reels to save the thread for tangling, that is only a couple of inches wide.

I think I would go after it with a preadatory  nematode personally.

It is something I need to eduacate myself about really as I know very little about the problems in some areas. It is on my list of to do's actually.whenever...whenever...

So pleased I don't have that problem.

XX Jeannine
Yes, be thankful you don't. I just picked a 6 lb "Sunshine" which looks more like an bright orange pumpkin and it also has a borer. I've read up on various ways to foil borers but all have a downside- mainly manually intensive. I guess I must use row covers next year on the susceptible varieties and then hand pollinate. We also have squash bugs that cause a different problem. ::) Makes me wonder why I'm doing this! Except, we're getting a bumper harvest of butternuts if all goes well so at least we'll have something to store and give away. Pity they aren't as sweet as "Sunshine."

I'm very eager to try those varieties you sent Jeannine. Perhaps some of those will be resistant. I'm tempted to try crossing Sunshine with Butternut.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2010, 08:23:43 »
I have found a little delicata squash growing it is about 3" long, my husband came running over as he thought something was wrong as i had yelled so loudly. I have a butternut squash on my hunter and harrier plants now, and what i thought was a winter bush squash is a whitish pale green pattypan (seed mix up AGAIN!!!!!) I have my first trombocino and my uchi kuri's are quite laden, the largest being a little larger than a cricket ball. how big do they get? The gardening club had a trip around our allotments and everyone was commenting on my "weired squashes". I do not care if i am different, sometimes growing all of the bog standard stuff is boring, different is good!!!!  ;)

jazzidoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2010, 08:43:44 »
i have 3 atlantic giant at about golf ball size and a jack o lantern and thats a success for me last year i had one patty pan and no pumpkin keep your fingers crossed for me 

Wilder

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2010, 09:13:36 »
my delicata is about 5inches long but ALL the leaves now have mildew so it's a waiting game really. Can see it getting any bigger :( My Crown Prince and Hooligan have quiet a few flowers but very little swellings. Don't know if I planted too late.

Patty Pan and Courgettes doing well :)
St Leonard's on Sea

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2010, 12:42:26 »
my delicata is about 5inches long but ALL the leaves now have mildew so it's a waiting game really. Can see it getting any bigger :( My Crown Prince and Hooligan have quiet a few flowers but very little swellings. Don't know if I planted too late.

Maybe it would help you to box them in the way Allaboutliverpool does in his video:
http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_squash_butternut.html
(I salivate watching his organized veggie garden!)
Some of our biggest butternuts are in a raised bed where the ground warms a bit faster.

kypfer

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2010, 13:47:59 »
My Butternut has just today shown it's first female flower ... it'll be a few days before I know it's pollinated successfully ... I "introduced" a couple of male flowers to it to try and help things along. The plant never did take off like my Vegetable Spaghetti, not that they've been prolific, but at least they've set a couple of squash each ... here's hoping for a long mild autumn and a few more female flowers :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2010, 13:50:45 »
I am quite depressed as mine seem already to be dying back. I have watered them but it has been so ridiculously dry here... and everyone on teh site seems to have teh same problem. Actually I think they are a bit sick, the older leaves seem to be a little grey and start shrivelling up. But I have fruit on  many, the butternuts are pretty small, but I guess we will eat them anyway! Only the Tristar "folded" pumpkins ave done really well.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2010, 14:41:30 »
These are my Jarrahdale and Black Futsu today. Most of the foliage on the Jarrahdale is dying back, but the one fruit is still growing more than 1 cm per day, so I'll leave it on for a while yet - even though it is breaking out of the supporting net!

Tricia

[attachment=1][attachment=2]

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2010, 15:12:15 »
Oh Tricia, they look fab, you obviously are doing somthing right, i wont show my squashes the pictures of yours as they do not need an inferiority complex on top of their sluggish but thuggish behaviour  ;)

But in all honestly, well done, they do look fab  :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2010, 15:22:14 »
Well I had a census today on the plot - so far 30 squash of varying sizes, but some have been very slow to get going!

and Tricia - the Black Futsu is looking great  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2010, 21:37:41 »
The Black futsu is unique looking- am wondering if the wrinkles plump out as it fattens?

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2010, 22:14:10 »
I'm hoping the wrinkles are normal GranAnn! When the fruit starts to swell it is green and slightly ribbed. There are four that have turned almost black and are somewhat wrinkled but still not ripe.

Ah - have just googled 'black futsu image' and it seems it is normal for them to be wrinkled.

Tricia

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2010, 00:47:40 »
They turn orange  XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2010, 02:49:06 »
I hope when everyone harvests their squash they'll give their evaluation of the taste and texture of each variety.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2010, 08:26:08 »
.....just a quick question, maybe a stupid one  ;)

Is it possible to train squashes to climb back down as well as up  ??? ;D

Only my QZ Blue has climbed to the top edge of the trellis and there's nowhere else for it to latch onto so it's waving around in the wind with feelers well above it.

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2010, 08:57:59 »

Only my QZ Blue has climbed to the top edge of the trellis and there's nowhere else for it to latch onto so it's waving around in the wind with feelers well above it.

Oooh good question, i am also interested in this as the squashes i have climbing are nearly to the top of the metal trellis.

Kx

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2010, 15:09:32 »

Yes, squash seem quite productive going up or down and setting fruits high or low. We have some growing in odd places ;D

Wilder

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2010, 18:06:22 »
thanks GrannieAnnie, I've bought some fleece and I'll try to construct some kind of fleece pollytunnel for them.
:)
St Leonard's on Sea

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2010, 10:51:35 »
Just love the way these twin Trombas have grown up together, all entangled.  :D

Also, first Cossa sampled, wasn't too impressed, maybe need that recipe posted on another thread.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2010, 13:55:22 »
those look fantastic EarlyPea!!! Well done you!

Have yet to try a Coussa........

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal