Author Topic: Fruit Bushes  (Read 1491 times)

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
Fruit Bushes
« on: November 11, 2010, 13:11:36 »
My project for next year is to finally buy/build a fruit cage on my plot and I was wondering when is the best time to buy the bushes?

I'm in the process of clearing the space and don't plan to actually have the fruit cage built till sometime late winter or early spring (depending on finances...) so any bushes bought now would sit in pots either at home or on the lottie till they could be planted out in their proper homes once the cage is up...

So, I'm wondering, is it worth buying them now and having them sit in pots all winter only to uproot them when I transplant them, or might I just as well just wait till the spring and buy them when I'm ready to plant them out?

Any thoughts...?
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

Stevens706

• Acre
Re: Fruit Bushes
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 13:22:32 »
You could ask aroung your fellow plot holders and take cuttings from gooseberries etc as you have time now for them to take

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 14:59:48 »
we planted ours and built the fruit cage around them  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 15:55:56 »
My project for next year is to finally buy/build a fruit cage on my plot and I was wondering when is the best time to buy the bushes?

couple of weeks ago when Lidl had them on cheap :D.... Seriously though, all the German supermarkets will have decent deals on fruit bushes over the next couple of months, keep an eye out for them in the Bargains

chrisc

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 16:36:04 »
It doesn't matter if they sit in pots or if you decide buying later. Ideally you would plant during winter months unless ground is frozen so your bushes has little extra time getting their roots in before the top growth start coming. If we get dry spring just planted bushes will need moore looking after. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal