Author Topic: Growing Indian veg in UK  (Read 7227 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Growing Indian veg in UK
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 17:14:09 »
It was explained to me by Defra that at the moment(2008) Defra were not checking all parcels coming into the UK.. they were checking anything that came through Parcelpost but regular mail was OK, the others would be checked eventually though

The company I bought from had put a label on the outside clearly stating the entire contents of the package.

They normally check one parcel in 30, and go by what's on the label. The other 29 parcels go through unscrutinised, and I can't imagine that's likely to change due to the expense of the extra staff. Evidently they open some parcels which declare seeds, unless it actually stated 'potato seeds' on the label. I've imported several hundred packages of ancient coins, and only had to pay duty the odd couple of times. I've never had one opened.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 19:58:36 »
Yes I totally agree Robert, the man I spoke to (Andrew)was quite nice, he even said that he had allotment connection and that some folks have their seeds sent to friends in Holland  who apparently are quite lenient,and then from Holland to the UK. Coming from Holland seeds are fine into the UK, So it shows you waht can be got round.

I often wonder where my box of seeds ended up.

Regarding the worry of accidently importing  GMO seeds. All the seed houses I deal with are dead against it and clearly state that.

I often get requests for useful seed merchants over here.. I think I will start a posting on it

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 22:36:21 »
i don't want to be a party-pooper, but if there are diseases which could affect crops in the country, should we be trying to evade customs checks?

I say that, having already admitted I brought Indian cucumber seeds into the country, when I of course had no idea about whether they would nuke our own cukes ! ;D

Luckily they died quietly, and the great cucumber plague did not descend.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 23:02:04 »
Seeds are normally OK, it's plants, tubers and bulbs which are dodgy. There are much stricter restrictions on them, with good reason.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 23:30:37 »
I suppose they might also be guarding against invasive species - but most of our veg crops can't stand our winters anyway.

I am tempted by trying bitter gourd. But I reckon it will need a very sunny corner of my garden. I think the allotment is too exposed, on a hill down to the sea.

Has anyone tried it? (am I being fanciful, given that I haven't even managed a cucumber so far this year?!)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 23:32:18 »
I agree with protecting a country for disease etc by banning anthing which might interfere with their crops, but....

The EU list of allowables is preventing growers from producing veggies that for generations have been grown in the UK. To the best of my knowledge they have not been dropped off the list because they threatened harm, therefore it is not a protection issue.

Further there is nothing to stop you growing them and surely they would if it were the case that they were harmful,what you can't do is sell them.

You can of course get them from seedsavers if you are a member as they give them to you for free, part of the membership fee covers the cost, and the association is covered as they are not selling, they are giving, and there is no law against giving.

Therefore I say yes, we should hope for no customs checks, if the seeds are being pulled out because of the EU list.

My own view is the list should be scrapped, that way folks could grow any variety of carrot or tomato that they wanted.Then customs could open parcels, see that it only contained allowable things. If there was a list of things not allowed for crop protection etc, then if a parcel contained those then those items could be confiscated.

I have never yet heard a logical reason why veggies where put on the EU list in the first place.

Does it really make sense that I can buy seeds to grow  a Gardeners Delight tomato but I cannot buy seeds to grow an Abe Lincoln. It makes no sense to me or most others I would think and if a ruling makes no sense then  folks will usually ignore it.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 23:34:35 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 23:36:59 »
I didn't know anything about this EU list. I must check that out. Thanks Jeannine.

And I've just seen a post from you on an old thread about bitter gourds
need temps of 70f day and 60f at night.Do not disturb roots when transplanting.

So that sounds hot. hang on I'll look up a conversion... 60 = 15 celcius. That's ok in summer here. 70 = 21-ish. I think that's normal.

Maybe I should give it a go!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 01:04:07 »
Don't buy  seeds of you haven't alreaxy I  think can give you some..if I still have them  they came from Baker Creek,if you look on there site and tell me which ones you were after I may have them XX Jeannine

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 08:33:29 »
Don't buy seeds as I have a packet of bitter gourd however I don't know how viable they are (given to me my someone who buys seeds but rarely uses them).  Tried chitting some this year but only with limited success.  Plants did not seem to like me.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 09:37:48 »
Therefore I say yes, we should hope for no customs checks, if the seeds are being pulled out because of the EU list.

I don't think the EU list prevent people getting seeds in seed swaps from abroad.  It prevents seed companies from selling seeds varieties which are not on the list.  Since it costs money to register a variety if it is not sold enough then they do not pay so it gets dropped from the list.  It cost £2000 to register.

It has been the mission of the HSL to save some of these from extinction.

There are a number of seed companies such as Real Seeds and Beans and Herbs which work on a membership basis, so do not actually sell the seeds.   There is supposed to  be some kind of relaxation to allow regional varieties.  But I do not know if/when this is due to happen.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 16:29:33 »
Bitter gourd/karela . Does anyone actually like it? I sometimes eat it as it`s a `wonder food`and I`m type two diabetic. But as a crop to grow?-now and again maybe but it`s not something I would rave about

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 19:53:38 »
I like karela! It's bitter and yet that's why I like it!

I resorted to ordering some dried karela online - you fry it, and it makes these strange crisps that look like cogs. But they were delicious with rice. Friends who tried them liked them as well, and so did my toddlers! (Very weird the things toddlers like and hate, though, I've given up second guessing)

Thanks jeannine and lottie lou - that really is such a kind offer! I prefer any of the knobbly Indian type of ones, rather than the Chinese smooth ones - but only because the knobbly ones look right for something that tastes so bitter. I would be grateful for anything you can spare me - smooth or knobbly.

Lottielou - I read somewhere that germination is a bit erratic, and they might need soaking or something. So it might be why yours didn't work so well?

I don't know how long they stay viable. But I'm happy to experiment!

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 01:43:07 »
just out of curiosity want veg/crop  that are grow as common native crop in India can be grown in UK.    what the types of these crops would  you would interested in. I am sure chili's would be on some of your lists. But what others is the real good question. I have no real idea my self since have never been to India and have not had much contact with there food culture.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 06:32:45 »
Nickys-nursery seeds do the Crystal Lemon Cucumber - it looks very similar to your dosakia. We grew it last year and it did well in the greenhouse. Its round, yellow and you can eat it just like a fruit (or a cucumber even!).

Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 08:21:36 »
I think growing things in the shelter of your garden will be fine Piegeonseed - for instance my peppers on the plot are postively miserable but the ones in the garden are nice and healthy, the garden just doesn't get the battering that the plot does (regardless of windbreaks)

So go for it  ;D

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 22:04:32 »
Abigail I think the seeds are chinese - but so am I

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 22:08:04 »
Oh Lottie Lou are you seriously, that is great,..how long in the UK.. so can you answer questions about Chinese veggies and recipes etc.

XX Jeannine

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 22:19:35 »
Are you from China Lottie Lou (sounds like a stupid question, but you know there are people who are Chinese from Malaysia, England etc)

GodfreyRob - yes I've seen that cucumber in pics before. It does look similar.

Plainleaf - I don;t even really know what I want either! Yes you're right, chillies are definitely popular there! After i started this thread, I kept thinking of all the veg we already grow which are the same. Like chillies, coriander, and sikkim cucumbers. Even potatoes for goodness sake!

In fact of course in North India, they grow lots of very similar things - they seem to eat tons of cauliflower. Which I'm not fond of and seems sooo unexotic!

I think next year I will try chillies again - no fruit so far this year. And if I get some sikkim cucs (which are all male flower so far  :( ) then I will try seed-saving and grow them again. And I will add a bitter gourd as well. That should be enough South Asian veg experimentation for one year!

amphibian

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 22:46:43 »
My Mam is moving to Bangladesh in a week, she is on strict orders to source all manner of exotic seed. I'll share with anyone that's interested.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2010, 00:07:52 »
Moving too or visiting, reason I ask is that she wiil have so much more time to hunt things down if she is going for a long time.

XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal