Author Topic: Squash Question  (Read 1138 times)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
Squash Question
« on: August 03, 2010, 17:42:51 »
I am growing Butternut squash 'Hunter' & 'Harrier' and for the first time the winter squash (I think) Bon Bon which seems to be growing in all directions and I wander if there will be enough time/sunshine to ripen all the fruit that is forming.  Can anyone advise as to whether I should pinch the growing tips out to stop them or even sacrifice some of the fruit forming and if so at what point.
Would appreciate your comments. 

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Squash Question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 18:17:10 »
Bon-bon is quite early for such a monster but is just about the most aggressive squash I've ever grown...... Last year the only reason I got any butternuts was cos September was so good... fingers crossed...

chrisc

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 20:15:25 »
There is a split opinion on this one so it come down to a personal choice, personally I don't usually prune my squash unless  it has been a bad year and I have some struggling to ripen and others starting off but others do as a regular thing.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 08:29:13 »
Thanks to both for your responses, I think I will leave well alone for the time being and see how things go.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 13:26:37 »
I have many small fruit on the butternuts but I am sure they will be swollen and ripe by the time the first frosts come ;) Just water and feed regularly.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal