Author Topic: Potatoes for Christmas.  (Read 2284 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Potatoes for Christmas.
« on: July 13, 2009, 14:48:17 »
I have just bought a bag of Lady Balfour from the supermarket. I was wondering if they are OK to plant now for Christmas potatoes. Obviously not at the plot as they are not seed potatoes. I would grow them in containers.

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
Re: Potatoes for Christmas.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 15:18:58 »
go for it!

i put a row in this morning - specially for xmas

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 18:23:38 »
Which did you put in daxzen? I've got some Vivaldi coming from T&M this month too

aob9

• Quarter Acre
  • Fermoy, Co.Cork,Ireland
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 23:39:20 »
Alll of the info seems to point towards setting these "late" potatoes in containers. Is there some wisdom against planting them directly into the ground in a polytunnnel. The only thing I would be worried about is my Tomatoes getting blight towards the end of their season and infecting my lovely potatoes.
Anthony

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 00:21:04 »
Alll of the info seems to point towards setting these "late" potatoes in containers. Is there some wisdom against planting them directly into the ground in a polytunnnel. The only thing I would be worried about is my Tomatoes getting blight towards the end of their season and infecting my lovely potatoes.

If you're in a tunne;l then don't spray water overhead, blight needs water to germinate tyhe spores. By the time you're bringing the pots into the tunnel  you'd be well  past the need to overspray the toms (to help fruit set I guess) so should be OK...... I've got some assorted first earlies going in small pots ATM, will move up to bigger pots soon, should have 5 pots with two plants in each...... they're 16" square tubs if that helps at all....

chrisc

longalot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 19:31:05 »
my question, since have not tried this before? how do keep the temps from affecting the plants late in the season before harest in an unheated polytunnel.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 19:43:07 »
Just to let you know. there is a another thread going on this which also has some good advice on. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

longalot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 21:56:53 »
Jeannine could you provide a link to the other thread.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 22:01:46 »
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal