Author Topic: Kailaan brocolli  (Read 1481 times)

jonny211

• Acre
Kailaan brocolli
« on: July 20, 2010, 16:32:38 »
Hi all,

I'm doing this for the first time this year, from a late spring sowing I have a few small plants about 6 inches high. The notes on realseeds.co.uk suggest pulling and eating the whole plant, or just the stems. I'm wonderring if this is the time to pull the whole plant.

Has anyone else tried growing this, and when did you eat it?

Cheers!

Jon

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Kailaan brocolli
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 16:34:59 »
I have some - not very impressed, produced a few very small heads quite quickly.  Fed it to the compost bin.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 17:09:03 »
This one of my favourites!

It has a great taste and is really quick to grow - especially useful in the cooler months. I wait until the plant is about 1 foot high (just before the slim brocolli heads flower) and then cut it all off - steams in under 5 minutes.

In Chinese supermarkets its sold in bundles and is pretty expensive. The plants are not big so you need to grow quite a few (but they can be spaced close together).
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 17:12:43 »
I normally plant everything far too close.  Looks like this is the one thing that could have been closer.

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 18:39:11 »
It doesn't look to be getting any taller and definitely no head so I'll try eating it now, and put another sowing in. I think the first lot may have struggled in the heat.

Do you eat the stalks as well GodfreyRob?

detailista

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 15:13:00 »
Yes, eat the stalks ;D - steam them like broccoli. They are sold in our local asian restaurant with oystersauce though I imagine they'd be good with a light soy sauce too. 

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 16:22:51 »
It doesn't look to be getting any taller and definitely no head so I'll try eating it now, and put another sowing in. I think the first lot may have struggled in the heat.

Do you eat the stalks as well GodfreyRob?

Everything but the root - as they row so fast its all tender.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 16:04:53 »
I tried it the other night, kind of halfway between brocolli and mustard. One to do again methinks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal