Author Topic: What to do about squirrels?  (Read 7102 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
What to do about squirrels?
« on: July 21, 2010, 16:29:23 »
Having disagreed with a couple of friends (both of whom I respect greatly - especially the one that is a member here!) about the ethics & methods of squirrel extermination.... And trying to remain objective, what do you think is the right and most practical thing to do about grey squirrels on the allotment?... No name calling please!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: What to do about squirrels?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 18:21:47 »
Erm, just leave them be.  What other options are you considering?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 19:52:50 »
bloke in the house behind our plot uses them for target practise, found a dead one last month  :-\
We just let them be

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 20:14:23 »
There has just been a BBC news report on grey squirrels. Apparantly some one caught and drowned one and was fined rather a lot of money.

So, the BBC decided to tell us all about the right and wrong things to do if they are a pest.

They are not a native species so can not be trapped and then taken elsewhere to be released. That is illegal too.

You can catch and take them to the RSPCA. (I am sure they will be ever so pleased if you do).

Or you can kill them with ONE sharp blow to the head. Two blows will get you fined like the guy who drowned one, for cruelty.

It might be on BBCI if any one wants to watch.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 20:31:02 »
They are not a native species so can not be trapped and then taken elsewhere to be released. That is illegal too.
They can be released within a mile or so of where they were trapped if you get a licence from Defra, and they'll not ordinarily decline the licence unless you live in one of the areas with a red squirrel population.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 22:10:22 »
When Grey Squirrels (Tree Rats) get to be a problem I set a cage trap. When one is caught it is dispatched with a bullet to the chest from a .22 air rifle. I shoot them in the chest as I have found they die quicker than if shot in the head. Either way it's only a second or two.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 00:34:01 »
How exciting for you........have you got nothing better to do. >:(

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 01:56:19 »

twenty two over seven   ;D

or     http://tiny.cc/fa00y    ::)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 20:59:22 »
Brilliant Unwashed............We will go and get a license from Defra to catch and release .........

I do not mind being corrected when I am in the wrong but frankly the BBC information was for ordinary people with a problem and how to deal with it.

All normal people want to do is keep within the law.

If in doubt, contact the RSPCA for advice to avoid a criminal conviction. That can effect not only a person's future employment but also their freedom to travel.

Is a grey squirrel worth it?

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 22:22:50 »
They can be released within a mile or so of where they were trapped if you get a licence from Defra, and they'll not ordinarily decline the licence unless you live in one of the areas with a red squirrel population.
I can't imagine why anyone would want to go to the trouble of getting a Defra licence to trap and release grey tree rats, rather than kill them.

I suppose I could trap one in our garden, and take it up to Alton Towers, which is lousy with them, and release it.  The problem is that they are extremely territorial animals, and the released one wouldn't last five minutes with the 'locals'.  End result a dead tree rat.

Why not just kill it in the first place, making sure that the SSPC don't find out. ;D

valmarg

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 08:04:03 »
Is a grey squirrel worth it?

Well, until that bloke in Staffordshire got into trouble, I'd have said yes. But I think I'll be better off putting up with no strawberries (well, 4 this year from 30 ft), no sweetcorn and the huge damage they do to my raspberries & red currants. It's better than a criminal record.

I did follow the RSCPA advice & ask my vet how much it would cost - they won't do it! Shows what the RSPCA know. I wish I was a member so I could leave.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 10:16:39 »
Just leave them alone, why kill them, they have to eat and don't understand that you planted your food for you not them, sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but my crops are not so important that I would kill a a mammal to protect them .

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 11:38:52 »
We have lots in our garden, they never spoil the crops. Though they do nick all the bird food. One ran off yesterday with huge chunk of bread........bigger than its head!!

I have to say though, it is illegal to trap and release them. But.....I see all the time on Wildlife SOS, Simon Cowell getting them out of sticky situations and letting them go. Why is he above the law? Just a question.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 12:57:16 »
If you only knew of the amount of corn fouled by them and passed into the food chain (bread and flour), you would soon think differently.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 13:56:54 »
Don't know how anyone could kill one, I love seeing them scampering around and getting up to mischief. Endless photo opportunities, and if I thought they were eating my crops I'd just leave out some nuts for them instead!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 14:11:04 »
Magpies get a bad press for the decline in the songbird population.  By far the worst offender is the grey squirrel.  They raid nests of eggs, and later chicks.  I've seen this.  We had a siskin's nest in a shrub just in front of the front window, until a grey squirrel raided it.  Personally I prefer the songbirds to the tree rat.

valmarg

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 14:24:40 »
if I thought they were eating my crops I'd just leave out some nuts for them instead!

As with most vermin, that would just attract more.

Unless people are vegans, I really don't see how they can draw a moral distinction between killing a squirrel or eating cheese. A little bit of reading about the dairy industry should show the way we treat beautiful, intelligent animals like cows.
You think squirrels frolic around on commercial fruit farms? Of course not - if you buy strawberries that have been grown on a farm, then squirrels (and other vermin)  have been killed on your behalf whether you like it or not. Leaving them is of course an option, but if I choose this it isn't because of any moral distinction, it's because of being afraid of falling foul of the law. It shows how removed we are from the food chain that this is considered an option.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 19:05:16 »
It is simply a choice to not kill something.

I do believe that killing for food is different. I don't have any problems with hunters if they are truly killing for food, and this is a country of hunters, but I do have a problem if it is for sport or any most other reasons.

Years ago folks used to kill squirrels for food, I still have recipes, so I suppose that served two purposes.

I just couldn't kill a mammal because it was after my harvest.I would never change my mind about that.

However I would not condemn someone else for having a different view, unless they were just killing for fun.

I just asked John of he could kill a squirrell that was eating his harvest, he said no, they have been here since we were cavemen and we are both still here..

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 19:25:37 »
Well there was an article in one of the national papers which suggested that we should put squirrel on the menu.  Very similar to rabbit, suppsed to be very sweet and tasty.

OH thinks he has eaten squirrel.  It was on a business trip to the Czech Republic.  Having eaten their main course, he asked the waiter what the meat was, and in his broken english the waiter implied that it was squirrel.  Very tasty.

I have no problem killing them, usually roadkill, as there are so many in this area.

They are vermin.

Locally a chap has started selling duck and hen's eggs.  We have driven past on many occasions, and there is a large pond, round which the ducks and chooks roam about.  I was talking to a neighbour, and was surprised that they wern't bothered by foxes.  Apart from chooks and ducks the chap also keeps and breeds Jack Russells.

If you want to keep your garden free from grey squirrels, keep a Jack Russell. ;D

valmarg

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 19:40:34 »
Ollie, I don't know that morality is something you need to justify, and I'm sure it doesn't need to be rational.

I don't like to kill stuff.  Not squirrels, not rats, not bees, not trees.  But I'll kill a wasp because I don't like them even though they're probably a garden good-guy, and I'll kill a blue-bottle just because it's buzzing annoyingly, and I eat fish and wear a leather belt, and if it was up to me I'd introduce the death penalty.

It helps that I'm not bothered by squirrels on the allotment I suppose, but I wouldn't kill a pigeon and they're one of the reasons I can't grow brasiccas, and I love moles even when they push up the onion sets.  I guess I'd feel differently if I depended on the allotment for my living, and certainly if for my life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal