Author Topic: Am I too late to (re)sow winter greens?  (Read 1631 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Am I too late to (re)sow winter greens?
« on: July 19, 2010, 11:07:08 »
Something has eaten my bloody seedlings! Grrr all except the broccoli!
I had sown kale and cauliflower (a winter variety). I also have some Durham Early cabbage too.
Is it too late to resow all these? OR will they not grow in time?  Guess that I will sow them elsewhere so they don't get scoffed a second time! Where should I sow them? In a protected coldframe? Or is pots better at this time of year, in a shadier spot?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Am I too late to (re)sow winter greens?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 11:18:13 »
try some of the oriental greens - they're all brassicas anyway. Actually a bit early for them I think (they go to seed)
here's a handy sowing time guide for them
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/orientalgreens.html

they're very fast growing. I start sowing soon and keep going til they stop going to seed.

they mostly have all the problems of normal brassicas

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 12:48:04 »
So does that mean I am too late for all the others?? d**n d**n! I was relying on those for my winter crops!!  >:(
I alreday have pak choy on the go. My small plants of those are already established in the soil.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 12:52:09 »
im going to wash my mouth out after saying this but, so you arent completely without winter crops you could go to B&A or a garden centre and get ready growing plants. I know that works out more expensive than seeds but it would at least mean you got something.

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 12:56:03 »
Well, yes I could... but it's annoying, as I have all the seeds. Maybe I will try the kale at least, and just do a few, so I don't waste too many seeds if it doesn't work out. I have Brussels but they are really big now, did them earlier.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 12:58:39 »
So does that mean I am too late for all the others?? d**n d**n! I was relying on those for my winter crops!!  >:(
I alreday have pak choy on the go. My small plants of those are already established in the soil.

I didn't answer that question, cus I don't know. Sowing dates for brassicas are a bit of a mystery for me; same goes for leeks  :)

simple answer is - if you've got the space, why not go for it

Allotment-junkie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 14:11:53 »
regarding the Durham Early etc ..... Unlike most vegetables, spring cabbage are sown roughly at the same time in both the north and south of England. Generally late July to early August are the best dates. should be basically the same for you in France ??????

Good Luck
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 14:15:04 by Allotment-junkie »

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 17:46:36 »
I don't think you're too late. My first sowings all got frazzled in the heatwave and I lost them (didn't help that I was away on hols  8) Resowed cabbage inc Durham Early and Kale last Thursday - they have germinated already. So give it a go.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 17:55:34 »
I would go for it!

Think of it this way due to the temperatures at this time of year they will germinate in three to four days and should be ready for pricking out about a week too ten days after that.

Prick them out into three inch pots and place in a cool place out of direct sun ( they still need goo light to progress)

With a bit of luck they should be ready for planting out by the end of August which gives them two or three months to establish themselves before the frosts come ( assuming you get frosts)

This is how I treat mine;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Pricking%20out/Pricking%20out/pricking%20out.html

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 23:10:59 »
shove some Kale in too! Things don't tend to eat them as much.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 02:48:30 »
Mine only got done yesterday, most packets I used said mid July XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 08:35:14 »
Prick them out into three inch pots and place in a cool place out of direct sun ( they still need goo light to progress)
How do people do that then  ???  It's a real problem for my brassica seedlings at this time of year.  Either they scorch and droop in direct sun or if I put them in the shade they go way leggy!  It's 29C here.  Any suggestions?

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 09:13:09 »
Well, I guess if I put them in small pots then I can keep them in the shade of other plants like the climbing beans so they are not in full sun all day.
I will be down this evening with my seed packets!!

shove some Kale in too! Things don't tend to eat them as much.
Yes sawfish, I have some that I got in a seed swop! So I will be able to try them this season after all. I still have some curly red kale seeds too. sweet!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal