Author Topic: Jeannine, the delicata WINTER squash looks finished already?? Can it be?  (Read 942 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
It is the yellow and green striped " Honeyboat" and the vines look dead with no sign of borers, and the fruits
seem to be a good size. I wasn't expecting them this early. Should I pick them? It is almost 100 F today and I'm wondering
if they'll cook out there in the sun or do they need to cure there like winter squash do in the Fall?

By comparison the butternuts, Crown Prince are still growing all over the place.
If they are ripe now I suppose this means they won't last very long into the winter?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
 They are winter Squash!! They will store a few months if cured.If th plants are dead and not just wilted then you have to pull them. However leave them in a warm place to cure for about 2 weeks..85 f is fine,ouside in the shade I think would be good.100 is really too hot.Take any out if they are immature and use them as summer squash,even really tiny ones. After curing, press your finger nail into the rind, it should not leave a mark, if it does, cure them a bit longer. Leave a stalk on, they store better but don't use it as a handle.

After curing, wipe down with a soltion of bleach and water  10% bleach.

Store in a cool place, not on a concret floor and not touching,,wood slats are best or hung is slings, but watch there is no strain on the handle.

They get sweeter when stored so if you try one today  it won't be as nice as one later on.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Thank you, Jeannine.

Will put them in the shade, but even the shade is too hot! Send us down some cool Canadian breeze, would'ja?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal