Author Topic: Iron verses Tumble Dryer  (Read 9725 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Iron verses Tumble Dryer
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 14:19:16 »
I gave ours away to the battered wives' home 30 years ago to make space for a wine rack.   

now that's the right approach to life  ;D  ;D  ;D

In answer to the question - NEITHER  ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 15:10:24 »
I have a  magic bathroom floor, If I leave my clothes on the magic floor they all end up in my wardrobe washed and ironed. I do not have to use the iron at all with this method.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 15:38:14 »
Your bathroom floor sounds like my sons' bedroom floors, Ace. ;D

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 16:54:20 »
Iron = His
Washing machine/Tumble dryer mine.  No Line. Large wine rack.   ;D ;D ;D

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 23:53:27 »
Reckon Ace's Carer finds the rummaging through the pockets before laundering makes it all worth while.

I never said I liked crimplene, just the advertiser's idea of the scrunch test before buying clothes.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 14:09:25 »
Our (I use the term loosely) iron came with a TV just to make ironing a tad more intresting for her. ;D

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 15:41:49 »
What? :o You mean she can watch you iron and watch TV at the same time!!!!

You are sooooo thoughtful ;)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 17:59:06 »
I hope Ace's magic floor fairy doesn't read that ........or he will have to be looking in the chandelier brochure again ;)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 20:30:49 »
Many decades ago, I worked for a company who needed help manning the phones over Christmas. They were paying well for the overtime and since I had a young family at the time I was happy to give up a few hours to earn a bit extra.

One delighted lady confided to me, over the phone, that she had just found out that her husband was buying her a washing machine for Christmas.

As a dedicated sexual equality person, I quickly twigged that this was no present at all. I asked the caller if she had a job of work (in those days, being a house wife was considered a career) Yes she said, I have just found a full time job ..etc etc.

I then pointed out to her that it was no present at all. The machine was a necessity under the circumstances.

Even now, I would still love to have been a fly on the wall at her house, after she had had a word with me.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 21:59:24 »
Things are not always what they seem and I would be very reluctant to judge this one. If money is tight and Hubby manages to find the cash from somewhere I think the lady would have been more thrilled with it than a new coat.

I got a household gift many years ago which I would have fought against buying as we simply could not work it into our budget, but my husband sold a very much loved personal item to buy me what I needed, I was very very thrilled to receive it, complete with red ribbon.

I would have been devastated is anyone had suggested to me it was anything other than a loving unselfish gesture.

We truly can rarely know.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 22:36:47 »
I have to agree with you on this one Jeannine. I have been bought many household appliances as presents over the years and have been more pleased with them than I have been with jewellery that I dont like or undies that he thinks I would like ::)or undies he thinks I can fit into  ;D
One of my favourite items was a Moulinex food processer that is now 24 years old!! Still working!
Sometimes its case of *needs must*.

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 22:57:38 »
I like getting useful presents too - there's too much extra rubbish manufactured and bought, just because it makes 'good' presents at Christmas. Having said that - I don't want it assumed that washing or cleaning is my realm, just cos I'm a woman. So I wouldn't expect to get a washing machine for Christmas!

Also it's so large - where would you hide it?  ;)

In answer to the original q - i don't iron and prefer to line dry, (And yes I have peg marks and have to wrestle with my towels to fold them  :)) .

I prefer to see the rough bathroom linen as a free exfoliant. Why pay good money for facepacks?   ;D

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 12:30:15 »
don't swearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
That is a four letter word ! and i even hid my **** but hubby decided to buy me a new one and brought it home and 'introduced' it to me and i said i hoped he will be very happy with it  ;D   ;D    ;D
I hang on the line as its free which is all i can afford.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 13:15:17 »
I agree  Jeannine.  In the 1950s my husband bought me an automatic washing machine when everyone was buying twintubs because they were half the price.  He sold his beloved car to afford it.   He had a dirty job which needed clean clothes every day.   I was delighted.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2010, 20:11:48 »
I have just done  a tour of the West wing and found an empty bedroom fully equiped with a telly and a stock of toberones. Perched on a table was a steam press and alongside, a pile of clothes waiting to be ironed.

Stuck the telly on, unwrapped a bar of choccy, found the switch to the press, put a shirt in and it did not do a thing, no steam, no heat, nothing. Watched the telly while I scoffed the bar of choccy. Then the stupid thing started bleeping and hissing and the shirt started smelliing a bit scorched. I opened it up and the shirt buttons had melted to the hotplate and I burnt my wrist trying to clean them off.

Best left to the weaker sex really. Altough the 'weaker sex' is a misnomer really. Men, try getting your half of the duvet back in the middle of the night!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2010, 20:50:13 »
what a story!  :)

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2010, 22:33:49 »
What ever else they cut

ACE certainly needs continued support.