Author Topic: Iron verses Tumble Dryer  (Read 9726 times)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Iron verses Tumble Dryer
« on: July 17, 2010, 22:56:55 »
I have a total aversion to ironing, always have had so love fabrics like crimplene (remember it?) 

They used to advertise it by showing that you could scrunch it up and it would revert to its smooth shape. That gave me a clue. Test the fabric before trying on the clothes.

When my daughter married 20+ years ago, she got a tumble dryer and told me that if you got the clothes out quick enough, fold or hang them up, straight away they do not need ironing.

So, I got one and found it is true, with either fabric conditioner in the wash and the cheap Asda one is as good as any. Or use those sheets (which cost a fortune). The carefully selected clothes which have passed the scrunch test before buying, ironing is not necessary.

I do not iron much any more.

The odd item may need a run over, if I am going somewhere special, and what I want to wear needs a press but it is rare.

My neighbour irons everthing including her knickers, husband's socks, towels sheets, even tea towels.  Spends several hours a week on the ironing board.

Now a question. Do I use more electricity by drying with a tumble dryer or by ironing everything?

I feel sure that there is some one out there who can work it out.

Not that I intend to change my (slovenly if you like) ways, it is just out of interest.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Re: Iron verses Tumble Dryer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 23:14:13 »
Purpleheather I think you either love it or loathe it the comparison doesn't come in to it.As long as there is something good on the tv/radio I am happy to iron sad but true.But I so respect folk that hate it there's more to life etc .... :)
sanity is overated

fi

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 23:15:24 »
i don't iron or tumble dry. i like peggin out and fresh air is free. i suspect irons use less energy.

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 23:33:43 »
Ironing socks!!!! My partner irons t-towels which i thought was a total waste of time but SOCKS thats crazy

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 23:38:55 »
I  have read somewhere that its about 25p per hour using a tumble dryer. (on average)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 23:49:29 »
yes I hang stuff out when I can. i don't iron or tumble dry. i like peggin out and fresh air is free. i suspect irons use less energy.
Yes I hang stuff out when I can too. I haven't used an iron for years. I hate manmade fibres though. I mostly wear cotton + wool in winter.

The tumble drier only gets used when the weather is bad and I'm in a rush. Otherwise the washing goes on an airer.
Mind you I used it more when I was working and we were a family of seven.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 23:53:45 »
sorry.......CRIMPLENE? Hideous, enough to convert me to ironing!

Sorry, loathe man made fibres with a passion. Would rather iron than have them.

I only use the dryer in the depths of winter. Otherwise everything goes on the line and the items that need ironing (cottons for beds or wear) get ironed before they are bone dry so therefore it is easier.

Call me old-fashioned. I'm not that old, but will happily take it! Ecology is important but so is having nice crisp Egyptian cotton sheets!

CLx

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 00:03:12 »
Hate ironing with a passion I can't even begin to voice.   Have found that removing laundry from washer and pegging out to dry generally leaves crease free (v.important when you can only wear natural fabrics).

Only use tumble dryer as last resort but then only overnight as the leccy is cheaper for me.   Have radiator airers in every room and a nice large conservatory.

If I do any ironing it's only the shirts that I need in the office so normally only about 5 or 6 items a month as I work shifts and can get away with casual dress on quite a few of my out of hours shifts.

CC

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 01:37:27 »
I rarely iron. I always use my dryer,as long as you don't overload it and you take things out promptly, don't use the cool down feature, take them out warm and barely dry and hang them they are perfect,and always use a Bounce pad rather than fabric conditioner. In fact I think they are better than ironed. The only time my iron is used is when I am sewing or about every 10 th time I wash a suit I repress the crease in. I do iron linen napkins and tray clothes because I starch them and iron while wet.The texture of fabrics come back as it should.. towels are lovely and fluffy.I love it. I hang most everything so never have creases.
It is no laziness on my part,I don't mind ironing but I get a better finished item this way.

Don't peg out as I find the fabric is rough and hard ,the peg marks stay in and they the garment doesn't hang right. I will drip dry a pure silk shirt though on a hanger .but don't iron it and don't peg it.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:42:33 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 01:45:11 »
I use a tumble dryer for everything and don't even have a washing line.  

I use a good conditioner and have two tumble balls in the dryer.  I take things out as soon as they are dry, but still warm, fold up nightwear, undies, tea towels, towels, sheets etc and put everything else on hangers.  Very occasionally I have to iron the bottoms of my jeans if they have folded up.  

I don't know whether or not it costs more to tumble dry than to iron but it's lovely not to have to hang everything outside, then bring it in again when it rains, put it out again when it's dry, go and retrieve it when it is windy.  Best of all though is not having to iron it all.  

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 04:44:04 »
At last - I feel I can come out of the closet on this one.

I'm the same as Pauline, tumble dry everything and don't have a washing line.

I've heard all the arguements about clothes smelling fresher if they are dried in the 'fresh' air (Birmingham air isn't all that fresh) about how it's bad for the environment to use a dryer, about how clothes shrink ...... but they don't mean anything to me.  I take my washing out of the dryer, fold it up and put it away.  No stiff towels, no peg marks, no waiting for hours/days for things to dry, no steamed-up windows, no moving things off radiators so the next ones can go on.

I've got one of those irons with a separate water tank and it is excellent so ironing isn't something I hate but why spend time ironing when there are so many better things to do? 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 05:23:07 »
Just what we said...yes!!! I like the coming out of the closet bit.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 12:51:20 »
I don't have a washing line because everything either blows away or gets decorated by all the birds I've encouraged to visit the garden and take up residence.

Nor do I have a tumble dryer.  The take up space, consume vast amounts of electricity and I never liked the feel of the clothes and sheets when they came out.  Towels were OK though.

I gave ours away to the battered wives' home 30 years ago to make space for a wine rack.   Washing gets hung on airers in the attic.   Ironing is done by OH whilst watching sport - a system developed when we boh worked long hours and divided domestic tasks.   He was already used to ironing his own shirts when I acquired him.

Apart from fleeces for winter, I heartily dislike man made fibres so buy cottons, linens, silks and wools depending for ready made and home made clothes.   Ironing is a must and not a hardship now we have one of those high steam models and a broad ironing table.
Obxx - Vendée France

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 16:31:33 »
I only iron what is absolutely necessary. Towels, sheets, jumpers, socks, undies, sheets...nope. I'd like to know who invented shirts!!! Sooo inconsiderate for the person who irons  >:(

cj :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 21:39:19 »
Sorry, what is this ironing thingy again? ???

If it doesn't go in the tumble dryer, it doesn't get bought......
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 06:12:00 »
Sorry, what is this ironing thingy again? ???

If it doesn't go in the tumble dryer, it doesn't get bought......

;D  ;D  ;D
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 07:50:56 »
I love the smell of ironing freshly washed and hung out clothes :-[ I don't manage it that often though, and just wondered what anyone might think is the best iron?  I don't know anyone with one of the tank models and have never used one, I would love a really good iron so welcome any suggestions - OH definitely not into ironing so although that would be the best answer it wouldn't work  ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 08:01:57 »
I have one that has a porcelain base so non stick and it self cleans if glue or something sticks on it..great for my sewing projects, it turns off if left facedown and even if left unattended stood up there is an option you can choose to allow it to turn that off too. It is very light weight, has and an and off switch on the iron so you don't have to keep unplugging it, I leave my board up all the time for sewing and that is a big help, Can be filled when hot, holds 1 litre of water,and has several steam or spray option on it, digital read out for temp, Body is clear so you can see  It buzzes when temp is reached and ..I love it XX Jeannine

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 09:33:38 »
I have one that has a porcelain base so non stick and it self cleans if glue or something sticks on it..great for my sewing projects, it turns off if left facedown and even if left unattended stood up there is an option you can choose to allow it to turn that off too. It is very light weight, has and an and off switch on the iron so you don't have to keep unplugging it, I leave my board up all the time for sewing and that is a big help, Can be filled when hot, holds 1 litre of water,and has several steam or spray option on it, digital read out for temp, Body is clear so you can see  It buzzes when temp is reached and ..I love it XX Jeannine

It sounds so clever...does it actually do the ironing for you while you have a cuppa? ;D

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 14:04:03 »
I have a friend who used to iron dusters and tights, along with all of the usual strange items like underwear, towels and socks!
I think she's improved with age though!
I only iron when I have to, but once I get the board up and switch on I don't really mind.  Since I retired I do  hang the washing out if at all possible.  I just love seeing it all fluttering on the line.  I even like to see other people's washing on the line, especially when it's in a country garden or a farmhouse in the middle of no-where!
Jeannine, your iron sounds wonderful!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal