Author Topic: Yellow Leaves on Fuchsias  (Read 2292 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Yellow Leaves on Fuchsias
« on: July 14, 2010, 15:55:58 »
Hi All

Welcome from an (at last) wet Cornwall.  Mark you don't want too much of this, just enough to get everything up and going again.

I have some eautiful 'giant' fuchsias, don't know what variety.  They are in a pot with container compost new this year, and feeding tablets.  Some of the leaves are losing their green and going a sort of lime yellow.  I think it must be some kind of deficiency, but as I am using feeding tablets, really don't know what this deficiency might be.

Any of you kind peeps out there got any good ieas on this?

Help, as always would be appreciated.

Regards, Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Yellow Leaves on Fuchsias
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 20:17:12 »
I am using feeding tablets,

How often are you doing this and how often are you watering?

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 15:29:56 »
According to a book I have:-

"Old age is the major cause for premature yellowing although there are other factors that might also cause it such as overwatering, underwatering, severe attacks by aphids, misuse or excessive feeding, magnesium deficiency, iron deficiency.

Excessive use of the watering can probably cause more problems than any other factor.  Err on the side of underwatering.  If there is magnesium deficiency then a regular watering with a solution made up of one tablespoon of epsom salts in a gallon of water will remedy the situation.  If sucvh a watering takes place during the course of a season then there should be no problem.  Iron deiciency can be remedies by using a seaweed extract plus sequestrated iron occasionally within your feeding programme."

From the above, and Tee Gee's question, you may be overfeeding.

valmarg

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 05:33:58 »
I'd side with Tee  Gee, There should have been enough feed in the compost you gave them without adding more to get you through most of the season.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 16:40:16 »
Sorry not to have come back, I have been away.  Yes, perhaps you are right, overfeeding may be the answer.  I also have dahlias in pots of the same compost, with feeding tablets, which have given me nothing but loads and loads of leaves!!!!!!  So next year I'll lose the tablets, and thank you for your responses.

Regards

Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal