Author Topic: Strawberries - what am I doing wrong?  (Read 849 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
Strawberries - what am I doing wrong?
« on: July 16, 2010, 18:07:19 »
This is now my third year of growing strawberries. I have several different varieties in two raised beds 4' by 8' but only ever get a small handful at a time (i.e once a week). Today there were 4. This seems measly to me when i see pictures on this site from others.

One bed they are grown through membrane and the other just soil. I am sure its not slugs or birds (protected them) so am I not looking after the plants enough?

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Strawberries - what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 18:15:02 »
maybe do a soil test - too shady, too dry, plants bought from same place and not good quality to begin with - what do the leaves look like, do other things nearby grow well - strawberries are on the 'easy to grow' list in my opinion so from all of the above I am thinking the plants are too old to produce much and I would be asking where you bought them - fresh runners from quality plants will produce for several years

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Strawberries - what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 10:49:52 »
yes that is a little measly. After 3 years you should replace the plants though...
I fertilise with strawberry fertiliser when they are in flower and water frequently. You should get more than that. If slugs are eating them you will see half eaten fruit and the little leaf stem willl still be there. Do you see that?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal