Author Topic: What mistakes have you made this year ??  (Read 4483 times)

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
What mistakes have you made this year ??
« on: July 12, 2010, 07:13:26 »
Doh!!!!

guess who planted all her dwarf beans around canes......and her climbing beans in a neat row with no support ?  :-\

note to self  :   LABEL THINGS  PROPERLY.

The worst ink survives the best memory eh  ;D
Life is to short !!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What mistakes have you made this year ??
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 09:23:37 »
Been there, done that..  ;D

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 10:56:52 »
Not successional sowing properly....

We'll have so many runners we'll need a new freezer just for them!  ::)

Alison

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:20:32 »
Nice mistake, two cabbages are cauliflowers.  Next year I will label (I promise) not sure what the other plants I planted are but will find out soon, may be broccoli or sprouts.  Also one fruit tree that I can't remember what it is, has no fruit on it or flowers but is growing well.  OH tells me off cause I recycle everything, stand still in my house and you will be recycled.  He keeps asking me about pots, are they early or whatever, I just say eat them and shut up, they are pots.  I will take a photo of my tree, and perhaps someone will know what it is.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 11:48:16 »
I have managed to get 5 dwarf french bean in the middle of a row of runners.  I did not notice until they started producing yellow beans.  I thought it was odd they did not climb but I still had not noticed they were not runners. 

And another set of dwarf beans at the north end of a row of climbing ones.  This time it was not me, the packet definitely said climbing.

I never seem to be able to find a permanent marker when I want one.  I bought two packets recently on special offer in Tesco and still cannot find either of them.

I also have three brocolli plants in a row of brussel sprouts.

I was very good and kept a list of the rows of brassicas, and yes you guess it I lost the list.  I found the notebook but the page was missing!!?

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 14:00:57 »
Planted squash on both south and north side of the trellis. Big mistake as those on the south side are rampant and those on the north side don't have enough light.  I've transplanted a Hunter to a place in full sun and am watering copiously each day - so far so good.

My walled garden is so tiny I try to get as much as I can into the small available space. Sweetcorn is much too close really, but looks to be doing well. But I think my biggest mistake was leaving it too long before deciding I would have to water the blueberries - even if I had to use tap water after my seven water butts had been emptied. Two bushes have died and the other three have given me a very small harvest of very small berries.

Ah well! Too much rain and blight last year - not enough rain and poor results this year - that's our wonderful British climate for you!

Tricia

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 14:26:41 »
trying to grow endive & raddichio early because the temperatures were so low & it all going to seed once the heatwave hit :(
germinating sweetcorn in plastic pots instead of the fibre ones....the roots seem to have objected to being disturbed & hardly any have survived being transplanted ::)
Not starting a new strawberry bed because I thought I could stretch my current strawberty plants to four years.... but the strawbs have mostly been so small (still delicious thogh) that I know I should discard them this year, sigh!

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 15:17:01 »
Not keeping a diary of all events and actions and plans for the coming season. This way I can look back and see what has been good and bad over the year. Also keeping a check on day to day weather and rainfall, which would help over the long term in the growing and reproduction of new plant material for the garden.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 15:59:01 »
Put toms and corguettes out too early - went on my hols and got hit by the late frosts.
Too many squash in a small area.
I seem to have killed my cabbages - not sure why but they look dreadfull
Put toms in the hotest part of the garden where they get sun all day - I now need to water at least once a day ( they are in black buckets - another error - they get sooo hot.) if not more.
Didn't keep the diary/log I had planned.
Not planning on what to do with the kilos of cherries and raspberries...

Im sure there's more   ;D
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 16:04:24 »
I planted an  nurtured like one of my own children 2 chilli plants, i sowed them from a mixed packet of seed so thought id got two different types of chilli, although i had my suspisions all along i just wouldnt accept that one of my beloved plants wasnt actually a chili, but last week i bit the bullet and pulled up a lovely Parsnip :)

Other general mistake was forgeting to label things or labeling them and then washing of the writing with my watering.

Doh
Im the gaffer in our house, the missus said i could be.
http://noobveg.blogspot.com

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 16:19:13 »
Mistakes?? Who makes mistakes  ::)

I guess my biggest error was trying to economize on potting compost and bought a load of c**p not to mention the dodgy farmyard manure.

Result; Lost hundreds of plants!

Next year I go back to making my own compost!!

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 16:43:11 »
Planted my tomatoes and squashes together.......well it worked with the sweetcorn ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 17:00:43 »
I'm so glad it's not just me, I really tried with labelling this year, still managed to have 6 tomatoes with no label, planted one in a bottomless pot thinking it was a tumbler, it's a tigerella going mad  ;D
6 squash plants with no labels, won't know until they fruit what they are, I know the types i planted but can't differentiate  ;D
caught my best cucumber with my stick and pulled it out of the ground  :o
just as well I'm not a farmer dependent on my plot for food  ;D

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 18:46:34 »
joining the NHS >:(

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 18:58:29 »
I thought I was wrong

Then found out that I was not.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 23:37:02 »
We built raised beds all over our tiny lottie then decided to build a plastic covered greenhouse over a pair of them.leaving the space between as the centre path.No problems , it went up very well and is great for my tomatoes which are now planted in them. the mistake was planting one bed with carrotts, beets, parsnips etc and the other with brassicas before we decided to build the greenie, then having to dig them up and chuck them to make way for the toms...

Dong ::)

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 01:23:33 »
Not waiting till I had an allotment at my new place sorted out before sowing all the tender stuff... Result, instead opf having a steady year disengaging from my Oxford plot it's full, my back garden is full, there are a load of late brassicas and leeks waiting for space and I have no carrots or parsnips......

chrisc

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 01:25:33 »
major mistake was asking the council if i needed planning permission for my greenhouse i should have put it up and asked later  :'(

growing wise i should have bought more grow bags and got started earlier!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 06:00:45 »
Did not puy out canes for some of my climbing beans and after only a week away there is a terrible tangle of shoots. 

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 08:02:41 »
 :D well I'm so glad it's not just me....... ;)

we are never to old to learn eh!  ;)   ( thing is ....will we ? )

Happy Growing... :-*
Life is to short !!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal