Author Topic: those with established allotments  (Read 2227 times)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
those with established allotments
« on: September 07, 2003, 13:40:54 »
we all know us newbies are busy doing rain dances and digging like mad but what's going on on your established plots? what sort of jobs are you doing and how are you caring for and preparing your soil for next season?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
Re: those with established allotments
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2003, 21:44:40 »
Well, down our way, I've dug the bit for the garlic going in in October, I'm digging the bit where the tomatoes were, ready for the broad beans also going in in October.  

The celeriac, swede and leeks are doing their own thing so hoe at the ready to keep down the weeds.  The carrots are pathetic, but I live in hope of a miracle once the rain comes (doubt it !   >:( )  Tying in the new growth on the hybrid berries is a job for the vigilant!  Strawberry patch to finish when a bit more rain arrives.

In the cut flower plot  the sunflowers are just about over.  The cosmos is looking a bit floppy, but might go on until the first frost.  The Sweet Williams for spring are just growing quietly away.  Where I cleared the other annuals a quick sowing of buckwheat for green manure has gone in.

On number two plot, I'm planning the first cuts for the overgrown apple tree, determined not to rush at it and make big boo-boos!  There are beds to dig and cover, manure to bring in, compost heaps to turn and a shed to move.  There is an enormous glory hole in the corner which looks as if it has had the junk of ages dumped there - that'll have to be shifted too!  

Blimey, I feel tired already!  And that's not the half of it....mind you, I find it best to have a list of winter jobs that I get to if I can.  Our plot turns into a quagmire when its wet and you're best staying off of it!  That's when the hot choccy comes out and the spreadsheet gets opened...say no more!

« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:09 by -1 »
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2003, 22:56:03 »
Hello - in Leeds, I'm lifting potatoes, beetroot, and basically clearing out beds, and building the compost piles.  Clearing any bed that doesn't have anything for late autumn/winter in it - and this year, I've a lot of clearing!

I'm going to take some more gooseberry cuttings - and this time won't spoil them!

I'd like to sow at least one of my plots in a green manure - makes things SO much easier in spring.

And we've have just a little rain, so it's a good time to go round the bed edges, where the grass overhangs - and spot the clusters of slug eggs.

All best - Gavin.

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2003, 23:41:02 »
Hi Gavin - I'm anticipating that the frost will get the buckwheat which will save me effort in digging it in - we'll see....
Have you tried grazing rye?  I bought some in a fit of enthusiasm and have since heard that it is jolly hard work to dig in.  As I like to minimise jolly hard work, the packet sits in my seed box unused.   :o

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 02:02:14 »
Hi allotment-chick - great minds!  I read the same, and have your packet's twin - and I'm b.....ed if I'm sowing it!

Buckwheat hasn't worked for me - it germinates in spring and comes up as a weed the next year on my plots in Leeds.  NOT what I'd intended!

But alfalfa and fenugreek worked really well a coouple of years ago; germinated in October; good cover and controlled the weeds; and so easy to dig in in spring - with a beautiful soil underneath, noticeably warmer and ready for spriing earlier.

All best - Gavin

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2003, 03:33:50 »
Thanks for the tip G - I'll acquire some fenugreek over the winter for roadtesting on plot 2 (so to speak!).  

I expect I'll put the grazing rye on eBay and some poor unsuspecting soul not privy to this conversation will buy it....

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 21:35:40 »
thanks for replying everyone, its really useful to hear what people are up to. me? i just don't know where to start anymore. i sit on the ground frown at the gooseberry bush, then frown at the book on pruning, then gooseberry bush again and then give up.  ;)

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 23:13:28 »
Hi legless - I cheated.  I waited until all the leaves dropped, so I could see what I was doing!  Much easier!  

All best - Gavin

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2003, 23:22:04 »
Allotment Chick  - I've got an apple tree that is overgrown too.   I took my plotover last May, and researched pruning Apple Trees.   I'll pass it on for what it's worth.   First take about three year to do the job, as the shock could prevent fruit growing next season.   Second, don't prune until the tree is "slumbering" (that's not the correct technical word for it), which is normally December.   Last December it was extremely mild weather, and there was new growth on our tree, so we waited until the frosts in January.   We will be doing a bit more in Dec/Jan.

Last year I laid down a pile of Horse Manure, and it has rotted down nicely.   So this week I've been trench manuring this years potato plots ready for peas/beans and onions next year.   It's blooming hard work, and I'm still a long way off developing that six-pack.

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2003, 00:59:55 »
Thanks Colin - the general rule of thirds seems to apply (prune a third every year for three years) so we're going to have a go.  I feel a visit to Wisley or Brogdale coming on for varietal identification!  :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal