Author Topic: What to plant, where to plant, when to plant...????  (Read 1236 times)

wraith

• Not So New ...
What to plant, where to plant, when to plant...????
« on: July 11, 2010, 00:58:07 »
Basically the thread title says it all...

I took on a plot about 8 weeks ago and it was waist/chest high in weeds and nettles...

I've since got it cleared and levelled and have some bits and pieces in there... problem is, I have only used about 20% of the plot so far and cant think of what else I could put in the remaining 80% to make the most of it...

I appreciate that as I took it on late there are a lot of things that I am to late in the year to plant, like onions, etc, etc...

My family and I like all veggies so it not a case of, "We dont like this and we dont like that..." It's just we are stuck on what we can put in this late in the year...?

To give an idea of what we already have in and growing, so that you can hopefully suggest new things that we haven't already got in there, we are currently growing:

Peas, lettuces, carrots, spring onions, celery, butternut squash, sweetcorn, radishes, runner and french beans, red and white cabbages, broccoli, sprouts, leeks, aubegine (sp?) and rhubarb...

We grow our tomatoes at home, same as strawberries and sweet peppers, also all our fruits are grown at home too, so dont wish to grow any on the plot...

All suggestions greatfully received...

wraith

PS: after using the site for a couple of months, is it too soon or too rude for me to make a suggestion...? There are a lot of newbies out there (me and mine being some) and I've little doubt that there are some people on here that have been at this for years, if not decades..?

Would it be possible to have a , "What you should be doing now..." type thread stickied in the appropriate place... which can be filled in and kept upto date by the more seasoned and knowledgeable members of the forum...?

Something along the lines of...

"Well, I'm sat on my plot in the middle of August and am deciding which bit to get ready for October as I want to be planting some spuds then for the early part of next year.... Just have to remember not to plant them where I planted such and such this year or last year or else they'll not grow their best as the nutrients they'll be needing will have been had by such and such..."

A thread like this would be a godsend to people like me as I look on a packet of seeds and think, "Right, sow in June... But what should I put in the soil to help them grow.. how much../ How long before I sow...? Which bit of soil should I chose..? Is it ok as I had sproats there last year../ will there be enough nutrients left for them...? etc, etc, etc...

All the types of question that we 'newbies' concern ourselves with that them with a few seasons under their belts just know from experience...

Thanks again...

wraith

PPS: If someone does start a thread as I suggest above, please send me a message with a link to it so I can keep looking in...

w
Non Timetis Messor

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: What to plant, where to plant, when to plant...????
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 04:08:20 »
If I was in your situation I would start planting  more things things for  harvesting in the spring. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 05:42:06 »

Would it be possible to have a , "What you should be doing now..." type thread stickied in the appropriate place... which can be filled in and kept upto date by the more seasoned and knowledgeable members of the forum...?

That sounds like a very good idea, I'm sure it would help a lot of us.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 06:53:44 »
TeeGees gardeners almanac folks ;).

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 09:41:44 »
This is the gardener's almanac. Very useful it is!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Indexes/index.htm

At the mo I'm planting/sowing some late beans (french mostly, simply because I've run out of runner bean seeds!) beetroot, carrots. TBH I'm not doing a lot of sowing as it's too hot!

When it cools off (september maybe) I'll be sowing oriental greens.

If you have spare ground you can always sow some green manure. I'm a bit of a green manure fan!
gone to pot :D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 09:58:18 »
Thanks for doing the link Aqui. I've PMed you ;).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal