Author Topic: Something is digging up my potatoes  (Read 6400 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
Something is digging up my potatoes
« on: July 11, 2010, 00:23:38 »
Never happened before: three or four yellowing plants among the green thickets - holes in the ground and large potatoes lying on top, going green in the sun.

I didn't earth up there, but the potatoes were planted deep. Something - badger? Fox? - has been digging there, but didn't want the potatoes. Badgers looking for slugs? Very hot and dry here in East Sussex, maybe they are desperate?

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
Re: Something is digging up my potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 12:47:11 »
The same thing happened to me last year. Then I read on here that foxes are attracted by chicken manure pellets. Being a fan of these pellets I accepted that it was probably foxes. I'll be interested in what others think.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 13:37:26 »
I had a similar problem and found that the local Blackbirds are getting the grubs and bugs from the ridges where I have earthed up the spuds.
They have been quite the warrior in getting the earth moved for the soil born bugs which are there. They also leave spuds uncovered and lift them out of the way to get at what is there.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 20:34:56 »
    We have the same problem. It's a badger, he goes along the potato ridges like snow plough
scattering spuds left and right. He's looking for worms slugs etc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal