Author Topic: Quick crop?  (Read 1652 times)

Easywriter

• Quarter Acre
Quick crop?
« on: July 13, 2010, 06:56:39 »
Hello

I've got a bare patch on my lottie at the moment, but I'm intending to dig over the whole site (and add rotted manure + compost) in October.

Is there anything I could put in NOW which would be ready to harvest in October ???

As I write - it's raining! It's the finest drizzle you'd ever feel, but there's definitely something wet falling out of the sky ;D
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

sazhig

• Half Acre
Re: Quick crop?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 12:28:56 »
Quick growing brassicas like raab, pak choi, radish?

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 13:38:05 »
Dwarf French beans. I find that they crop within 6 weeks. Then at the end of the harvest, just chop them up and put your maure over the top of them.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Easywriter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 13:53:28 »
Thank you sazhig and antipodes for your suggestions.

Since I originally posted by request, what should pop through the door but Marshalls Seeds Summer Growing catalogue.

I have the page open on "Dwarf French Bean Pongo" - they seem to fit the bill for me. We eat lots of them (Tesco just call them 'green beans'), so I'll be buying a packet of seeds. :)
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

detailista

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 13:55:19 »
Thank you sazhig and antipodes for your suggestions.

Since I originally posted by request, what should pop through the door but Marshalls Seeds Summer Growing catalogue.

I have the page open on "Dwarf French Bean Pongo" - they seem to fit the bill for me. We eat lots of them (Tesco just call them 'green beans'), so I'll be buying a packet of seeds. :)

I can recommend moreveg online - they do smaller packets for about 50p meaning you could treat yourself to a selection ;)  postage free on £6 order too and i got mine next day when I was trying to fill a similar hole in my patches.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 14:23:03 »
You can get a crop from beetroot and radish as well..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 16:30:59 »
How about baby carrots? I sowed some in April and have been pulling them for the last few weeks.

Oriental veg would be prone to bolting now, but you could sow it more towards autumn, depending on when in October you want to dig.
gone to pot :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal