Author Topic: Ants  (Read 2175 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Ants
« on: July 20, 2010, 17:01:11 »
Just went outside and there are hundreds of ants on my patio and outside my back door. They were all milling around but I couldn't see where they have come from. Any tips for finding the nest? I'm itching just writing this!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Ants
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 17:04:29 »
The flying ants are probably coming out to fly and mate. They'll have enlarged the entrances, and there will be little piles of soil round the holes, making them pretty conspicuous. Look where the ants are thickest.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 21:06:24 »
It was flying-ant-day yesterday in Newbury.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 21:20:47 »
They are normally very good weather forecasters and there is normally several fine days after they start flying. 

I once did a house swap with a family in Austria, they had an ant colony in the kitchen which they had left being rather amused by the neat liitle trail down the wall and across the kitchen floor.  However, one day we arrived back and found the entire kitchen completely full to the brim with flying ants.  They were everywhere, never seen so many.

Last year I managed to stamp on them as they came out and this year we have very few in the garden.  I have loads on my allotment so would really like to deal with them this year, they seem to farm blackfly.

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 21:32:40 »
Don't be too hard on the ants, They do more good than harm. they also take plant eating grubs to feed on. The blackfly would still be there without the ants. I do draw the line at them swarming in my kitchen or conservatory and would  deal with them accordingly. I am also waiting for them to swarm, it is usually on a very still warm day. But according to the weather up here no chance this week.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 21:42:34 »
No swarming here at the moment.  I left some yoghurt pots upturned among my beans becuase they had the varieties on them, and some of them are now completely full of ants.  If you lift the pots there is a cone shaped mass of seething ants.

Nice to here they are some use.  If one stings me I end up with a huge lump the size of a tennis ball so I hate them especially if one gets in my bed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 21:44:31 by Digeroo »

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 22:24:48 »
They swarmed here yesterday - last evening after doing the watering I thought a nice rest on the sun lounger & a glass of wine were in order but to my horror it was black with ants & I had to leave th cushions out all night, however this morning all gone.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 08:46:51 »
But back to my original question  ;) , any tips for tracing the nest?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal