Author Topic: Potatoes and the hot weather/dry soil/lack of water affecting the harvest  (Read 10079 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
well what a mixed bag of results from around the country!!

My earlies (Lady Christl and Red Duke of York) had a very poor yield becasue of lack of water, but everyone on site is saying the same thing. Just finished digging up the last of the Charlottes, and they seem better for yield - didn't bother to count or weigh!

And like others on here I never water them - too little time and not enough energy!!

1066  :)

lottiedolly

• Acre
We still have had no rain, we have started to water our main crop spuds as we are getting a bit worried, when we dug up our charllottes we had approx 4 spuds per plant a total nightmare  :'(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
What size are the Shetland Blacks, Sawfish?

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
They're a small potato. I reckon the biggest is maybe duck egg size.

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
Still hardly any rain in northants! Have started to water some plants but cant do them all. Dug one row up and that did us for a meal for four some for my parents and about a handful to have with a salad!!! Our worst season in 25 years in need of some serious rain or im off to sainsburys :(

Kepouros

• Hectare
All my water butts and tanks overflowing, fish ponds half way across the lawns, and last night the water was pouring in sheets over the edges of the roof gutters, and the greenhouse is surrounded by a small lake.  I dug the first plant of my Sharpes Express yesterday and filled a 7inch pot with nice medium sized potatoes.

You can have my share of the rain now - I`ve got enough to last me for a few weeks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal