Author Topic: Sprouting brocolli  (Read 1068 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Sprouting brocolli
« on: July 09, 2010, 05:14:01 »
Got forgotten!!Are there any varieties that I could still plant XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

earlypea

• Hectare
Re: Sprouting brocolli
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:44:33 »
I don't think it's too late to sow PSB right now, though getting borderline.  Charles Dowding in his organic vegetable growing book says best to sow early July to avoid pests.

I usually do it in May but didn't get around to it and love them large, but a lot of people around my plot don't set them out til late July or even August.  They get smaller plants but they are closer spaced.  Not sure which way gives a better yield - I'll be finding that out this year hopefully.  Mine are just germinating now, but in soil blocks a la Eliot Coleman so there's no check on growth on planting out.

My next door neighbours don't put theirs out til late July either, and one of them was in the land army during the war so she knows a thing or two about vegetable production  ;)  Mind you she was surprised when she came down my lottie and saw my mighty towering versions.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:51:21 »
I sowed soem in June but every single one has had its tops chewed by rats or mice in the greenhouse so I've put some poison down.  As soon as I know they're not around to ravage my seedlings any more I shall do another sowing and keep my fingers corssed.
Obxx - Vendée France

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 17:23:42 »
I sowed a variety called rudolf this week after i cleared away my first row of peas. Along with some kale and leeks.

They say sow til june on the pack but well its worth a go they overwinter great and flower really early in a mild year as soon as feb , but i recon that they are all pretty hardy , but im sure canadian winters are a bit harder than ours.

Its worth a go!

good luck
x sunloving

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 18:15:45 »
Thank you all, I will start them right now.. Sunloving actually the  winters in my bit of Canada , the Pacific North West Coast is consideraly  milder than the UK  so I  might be OK.

First frost Nov 15th last frost 28th March

classified as zone 8b for temps throughout the winter

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 18:21:15 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal