Author Topic: Blackberry Brambles  (Read 856 times)

Chattinglil

Blackberry Brambles
« on: July 09, 2010, 15:02:43 »
Hi all

Very pleased to have found this forum as I have just taken a half plot with a friend and we are starting from scratch.  The site was neglected for a long while and it's taken us a few weeks to get started on the clearance.  In the corner there is a huge blackberry/bramble patch.  I've received advise to suggest digging the whole lot out, but I wondered if others would recommend a way to keep some of it.  It is very overgrown and quite woody.

thanks
Lisa

gypsy

• Quarter Acre
Re: Blackberry Brambles
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 15:25:05 »
If you work out what you want to grow, based on what you like to eat, your list may or may not include blackberries. You may also find wild blackberries elsewhere for free...

Also you may find theres not going to be enough room for all your yummy crops if the brambles stay.

Its very hard work digging them out, but just as bad digging out ther new suckers every year, its certainly not an easy option to leave them in.

Hope this has helped...

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 21:11:11 »
I have spent some time controlling my brambles because over the last 2 years they have been very productive and delicious.

Do not kill them. They freeze brilliantly and are really useful. Just cut them back so that they do not swarm over your plot.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 22:53:06 »
you can train them along your fence. They're also good as an idiot deterrent.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 05:01:16 »
I saved some of mine at the bottom of the plot and trained them into a bush. Absolutely covered with bees and beautiful flowers which have set and now looks to be producing a decent crop for later. Others on the site have admired it and I'm dead chuffed

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal