Author Topic: Glorious rain yesterday  (Read 1795 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Glorious rain yesterday
« on: July 02, 2010, 22:24:33 »
Its been so dry, grass and other things have been dying back but....
Yesterday it started in the morning as a light drizzel and continued all day  :) light rain in the afternoon and into the evening  ;D
I was able to cultivate ex onion bed today, easy as, not often it happens that way  ;D

Anyone else had a little drop or two ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: Glorious rain yesterday
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 23:01:43 »
Yeah...we had 2 drops....then again,might have been 3!!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 23:03:01 »
A drop or two is right! It rained here too - just 4mm, but it was not enough to do much good - and certainly not enough to fill my water butts.

Tricia

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 15:46:30 »
not a drop!

I can't help but think of the Rime of The Ancient Mariner

Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink.

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 21:20:13 »
Still waiting for it over here in north west leicestershire.

CC

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 22:26:05 »
I'm getting to know my local weather patterns well, I am not expecting any rain any time soon. They keep suggesting it will rain in a few days, but as the day comes the forecast miraculously changes to sunny weather.

It's d**n dry here, even when it is raining just down the road it often just stays cloudy here.

We've had one day of rain and a few showers since May and only about 8 days with any rain since Easter.

I grow differently here than I used to grow things elsewhere. Squash and corn I grow in hollows in the ground, these craters help retain moisture and ensure when it does rain the water runs into the root zone and not simply off down the slope.

My main tip for gardening in dry soil is avoid watering young plants as much as is possible while still keeping them alive, when you do water really drench the surrounding soil. This way they send roots down to hunt for water, reducing watering needs later in the season.

When I do water; which I do infrequently and only if plants are showing stress; I really soak my plot, I'm talking maybe the equivalent of several inches of rain across the entire plot.

Tomatoes and potatoes I plant deeply, though tomatoes and lettuce I do water frequently.

Curently my soil is bone dry for about a foot down. A whole foot before you hit any moisture at all. yet my corn and squash are healthy and green and my strawberry plants are lush and productive.

I'd far rather garden in dry soil and water if need be, than deal endlessly with all the blights and mildews of wet weather.

The advantage of my comparative dry microclimate is apparent in my blight record, in two seasons I have suffered no significant blight until the very end of the season deep in to autumn. With no real impact on my crop yield at all.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 08:52:45 »
We had a shower overnight last night and the hosepipe ban comes into force on friday due to the long drought conditions in the NW.

Im trying not to complain becuase for the first time in years we can say that weve had a good summer of hot and sunny weather and i have loved it. but june was basically a no gardening month becuase it was just to hard /dry punishing for new plants.

going out to water the greenhouse!
x sunloving

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 09:15:34 »
Light drizzle last night and again this morning. At this rate the grass might need cutting again!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal