Author Topic: Bendy carrots  (Read 2244 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Bendy carrots
« on: July 02, 2010, 19:07:50 »
I pulled up my first carrots on Monday and by yesterday they had gone soft and bendy. Is this a sign that they weren't ready?

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
Re: Bendy carrots
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 19:16:08 »
most likely cause short of water

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 20:30:54 »
I am pretty sure the carrot grown for the supermarkets go straight into a cold store therefore lose moisture at a slower rate, try putting them in a zip up bag then into the fridge salad drawer.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 07:51:14 »
Did you leave the tops on?  Cutting them off is supposed to help because they'll carry on trying to grow and draining water from the root.  I don't know how they manage to keep them firm and sell them as 'bunching' carrots at markets mind you - may be they're chilled.

I had floppy carrots once.  I think it might be down to the variety because they've never done it since.  It was D'Eysines Carrot from Realseeds. 

But then I was surprised to read on another forum at the time because I was trying to find out why that even seasoned growers expected bendy ones and they dunked them in a bucket of water before using them.  All of the bendies seemed to be early spring types not later ones, but I may be jumping to conclusions.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 15:30:26 »
I found that if you water them a day before you want to lift them this firms them up enough to save in the larder for a few days.
I remember the folks from where my dads lottie years ago did this and it is still good today.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal