Author Topic: poinsettia  (Read 2538 times)

ACE

• Hectare
poinsettia
« on: December 08, 2004, 20:14:33 »
It's that time of year, and she who has to be obeyed has just walked in the door as she has done since the year dot with the dreaded poinsettia. In a months time the leaves and bracts will all have dropped and she will not throw it out until Easter. (just in case it comes back into life).  So come on let me in on the secret, how do you keep the d**n things alive? I've tried hot water,cold water, tea, coffee, beer, even a g.&t. but it still ends up as a pot of twigs.HELP

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re:poinsettia
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 20:40:17 »
Those that produce the things dont intend you to keep them alive after new year. they want you back next year for another one.  ;)

However I have mamaged to keep them alive quite sucessfully, though never got the red bracts back (thats the tricky bit  ;D)

Basicaly just treat them like any other houseplant. Water but not too much or too little ant they should be fine. Dont expose to draughts or dry heat (ie from heating) though.

What you get is a fairly healthy (albeit green) pointsettia.  As i said Getting the red bracts back for next christmas is tricky. It requires the patience of a saint to be exact. Never managed it myself so dont really know what it takes.

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 22:21:22 »
Hi just to let you know that I managed to keep one alive for 4 years and got red bracts every year. Simply, as Richard said, treat them like any other house plant. Water with tepid water though, not too cold or  too hot. Feed in spring as you would with other house plants - baby bio would do nicely.  :)  If you want red bracts simply put them in the dark for three months before Christmas and hey presto red replaces the green.

Have fun.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 13:43:28 »
To keep poinsettias for a long time start when buying it.
Plant should have green, no yellow leaves. Do not purchase plant in paper or plastic, will deteriorate quickly, or displaced close together.
After buying the plant WRAP properly, exposure to low temp. damage leaves. Place in sunny spot, away from cold glass and from drafts, open doors, windows. Keep temp 60-50 gr. Warmer = short life plant.
Watter every day, but DRAIN well.
Fertilize 1x p month afer flowering.
In febr, march cut back old flowering stems to 5 inches, repot in april, keep in sunny position. Afer frost put the plant outside in sun, shade after noon.
Turn pot every week: prevent rooting one side and getting even growth.
Like Eileen said: 3 months darkness is the trick.
At least from 5pm--8am between 30 sept and 15 dec.in the dark.
Hope you will be lucky this year.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 13:52:27 »
I think a lot are killed before you even get them home. Even the short trip outside to the cold car from the shop seems to make them too cold.

I'm not going to bother again this year. I'll get cut flowers instead - they last longer!
gone to pot :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal