Author Topic: apricots  (Read 2247 times)

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
apricots
« on: July 03, 2010, 21:32:38 »
 Picked about 15 pound apricots this morning, and have made 4 pound apricot jam this afternoon.

normally we have plus of 100 pound but due to this new rule about pesticides and insecticides we lost a lot. but even the 15 pound is nice when we really didn't think we would get any..

It just means we will not be giving many away this year. qahtan.....

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: apricots
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 23:41:41 »
You lucky thing! What variety do you grow? I assume the tree/s are in the ground and not pots, and what's the climate like where you are? I should like to have a go at apricots.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:52:44 »
yes. do tell. I grow a nectarine which gets hit with Peach Leaf curl every year. Interested in apricots though.

qahtan

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 18:12:54 »

These two trees are grown from pits about 40 years ago, and I have no idea what kind of apricots the "mum' tree was, the strange thing is both trees have a different kind of apricot, one is a large flattish fruit with a fairly large pit, the other is a smaller fruit more round but has a reddish kind of blush more like a Van. The difference being no doubt the first fruits we had were from a local farmer roadside stand.
Temperatures here in the Niagara Peninsula, southern Ontario vary from
 29c with humidity feels like 41c at the moment, and in February we can have minus 20c, and a frost as late as late May.   Grown in the ground,
 But if the squirrels would leave the empty kernels alone it seems as if every pit would grow,   with the winter cracking the pits open.
                                                              qahtan
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 18:19:15 by qahtan »

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 18:35:29 »
We have 2 apricots on our tree that we got 2 years ago but boy is it growing big.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

qahtan

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 19:55:43 »
 Apart from the Apricots grown from pits we also have, Greengages grown from a pit from UK, job to see the gages but they are there.
.[qahtan
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 19:59:12 by qahtan »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal