Author Topic: Rhubarb  (Read 1570 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Rhubarb
« on: August 31, 2010, 23:35:06 »
I plan to split my largest rhubarb crown that Hyacinth sent me about a million years ago.  I believe this should be done when the plant is dormant - so assuming late winter/early spring - Feb/March time??

Also, after the lashings of rain Essex has suffered, my bubby has produced more stems that ever before and is looking more like a gunnera.  Would it still be okay to harvest an armful of stems?  I seem to recall that you shouldn't pick after August as the plant needs to store it's energy back into the crown for next year.

Many thanks in advance.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 00:02:53 »
I have a huge one a grew from seeds many moons ago, so I will be very interested in how you get on.  The flavour is suberb but I have not dared to split it in case I kill it off.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 00:13:20 »
Rhubarb is always best left alone from late summer to allow it to build up its roots, and if it is to be divided in winter it is even more important.

The best time for planting rhubarb is December, and your roots should be lifted and split in time for this. Throw away all the half rotted monsters of roots, and choose the smaller black surface roots.  Prepare the bed with the addition of (if you can get it) plenty of wool shoddy - a slow acting, organic, provider of nitrogen - supplemented with a quarter of a pound of bonemeal to the square yard (if you can`t get wool shoddy use well rotted manure or compost).  Plant the roots with the fat noses of their buds just peeping through the soil, and then cover them well with dead leaves or leafmould for winter protection.

Don`t pick from them during the first year.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 00:15:39 by Kepouros »

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:52:40 »
Ideally,  rhubarb should be split every 4-5 years to prevent it going woody.  I will be splitting mine in November. 

Do not split all of your crowns in one year.  Don't forget you will need to refrain from harvesting the first year after planting to allow the roots to get established for future productivity.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:56:21 »
Oh dear mine is years and years old it is cetainly well past its date for splitting.

Actually someone gave me a selection of bits earlier this year and only one failed to thrive.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 14:36:17 »
Thank you for that.  So if I wanted to harvest a few more stems, other than perhaps reducing production next year, there is no reason not to?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 14:42:27 »
I think, too, that the oxalic acid levels increase as the year goes on so the rhubarb may not be so digestible. It is the oxalic acid in the leaves that makes them poisonous.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 18:56:07 »
I was under that impression also grawrc, but would love to find something that says it for certain.  I wonder if it is one of those things that has been passed down...but of an old wives tale.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 19:06:49 »
I don't think it's an old wives' tale. You're very late in the season, but I've made the odd rhubarb crumble later than this without making anyone ill.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 22:41:17 »
Thank you everyone.  Mystery solved, thanks John.

Yup, the oxalic acid does become stronger in the stems as the plant matures, so it probably isn't wise to eat it excessively now.  It is very very tempting though as the stems are several feet long and ruby red.  :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal