Author Topic: Termination of tenancy  (Read 9497 times)

fuchsia

• Not So New ...
Re: Termination of tenancy
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 22:56:03 »
As a site secretary having to deal with plot holders who are not managing their plots, it is very difficult. On one side I have neighbouring plot holders that moan because weed seeds are landing on their plots along with people on the waiting list asking why the plot is not being worked. Then I get people like Becky that are going through difficult circumstances in ther personal lives making it difficult to work their plots.
I have two cases at the moment. One has had an accident and been left in a coma for the last 8 weeks and the other one retired last week and a few days later had a devastating stroke leaving him paralysed down one side. Last year I had a case the same as Becky`s.
All these cases I deal with individually and its down to me to decide when to pass onto the council for termination of tenancy. I believe that everyone has a right to grow and sometimes life is unfair. So on this basis I try to establish the facts, then try to offer some temporary solutions to the problems. Either we manage the plot for the person until they are fit enough to return (sometimes the thought of their plot is the only thing keeping them going)  Cover the plot in black plastic to stop weeds forming, offer them the choice of a half plot or to give up the plot altogether and put them back on the waiting list for when they are better or in a position where they have more time to look after a plot.
We also offer a buddy system whereby somebody who is on the waiting list will come in and help look after the plot until the plot holder is able to return.
Most of the time these solutions are successful and are very much appreciated but on occassions I am taken for a ride, I have helped people like Becky only to do it time and time again and then I have have to refer them to the council as I have no option and nobody likes to be taken for a fool.
Communication is the key and having a good committe/site manager who you can talk to .
If not make sure you write to the council and keep all copies of letters you send so that you have a paper trail.
Becky must know somebody that would`ve helped look after her plot while she was away, I have a 6 year waiting list with people that would have bit my hand off for a chance of 7 months growing on an allotment.
Food for thought?

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Re: Termination of tenancy
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 23:38:52 »
A difficult job!
Put simply help those who CAN'T help themselves while question those who WON'T help themselves.
so easy to type/say but difficult to practise.
well done to you fuchsia
sanity is overated

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal