Author Topic: Rooted lemongrass.  (Read 1242 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Rooted lemongrass.
« on: June 30, 2010, 19:02:31 »
I've just noticed that 3 stems of lemongrass have rooted in water. How is the best way to plant them, together, separately, MP compost JI no? size of pot? Anything I've forgotten?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Rooted lemongrass.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:40:08 »
I rooted 5 out of 7 in a packet from the supermarket and have simply put them all in a single 5" pot with compost for geraniums.  No John Innes or multi purpose or Levington's in Belgium.   I kept them watered on a sunny window sill till they started to grow new foliage and now they're looking like an ornamental grass and are out in the greenhouse and doing well.
Obxx - Vendée France

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 06:43:44 »
Thanks. Three out of three rooted from the supermarket for me. The roots are getting long so will just pot them on then.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 12:19:00 »
A five inch pot with a mix of JI No3 and multi purpose will be fine for a while but eventually you will have to go to something like a 10 inch(the morrison`s buckets?) with all JI No3

Lemon grass will over winter but it`s not a bad idea to bring them inside-and I mean inside the house not a greenhouse and then keep the top part of the soil bone dry-place them in trays/saucers and water sparingly from the bottom over winter until they show new growth in the spring.

After a couple of years-maybe less as you are starting a stem off and not growing from seed you should have stems thick enough to use to eat as well as some to divide and increase the number of plants

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:27:52 »
My plant is dug up and stays indoors over winter - when I plant it out on the allotment in summer, it wakes up and sprouts new shoots like mad. I can't believe they do as well in pots?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 20:58:31 »
I can't believe they do as well in pots?

I have to agree they do so well in pots, the aroma is just superb  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal