Author Topic: Peas  (Read 14761 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Peas
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 10:57:35 »
Be interesting to try! I know nothing about the genes involved, but you'd soon find out.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 11:33:53 »
Only growing Maro this year,but this Lady knows her peas  http://daughterofthesoil.blogspot.com/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 12:50:16 »

Does that mean this purple podded isn't totally stable or ..?

...  or that this colour change is normal for older purple pods.  Mine are not exactly green but definitely no longer purple.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 12:53:11 »
Galina, if you have a few spare seeds available for swaps later on I'd be very interested in some of the peas you have listed  :)

pm me.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 13:02:36 »
Schw
you wrote:
I'm pretty sure I had some pods with 9 peas earlier in the season, although 8 seems to be the most common. Has 8 been an absolute maximum in your experience? If I find another with 9 I shall take a photo.     end of quote

Yes 8 has been the maximum ever.  When I first bred Court Estate Gold I did not even get 8 seeds,  but in the last few generations it has always been 8 seeds maximum.

9 seeds would be exceptional indeed in my experience (not grown Bijou but other large podded varieties).  Please save seed if you see it again.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 18:09:26 »
so far a fantastic year for peas - for us it has been meteor, misty and twinkle, all sown successionally but nearly all coming at once like the buses  ;D so it is pick, eat and freeze all at the same time but not complaining  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2010, 19:40:29 »
I've noticed the pods on my Lancashire Lad going mottled as the peas reach full size.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 19:47:49 by Robert_Brenchley »

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2010, 20:50:06 »
So are mine, RB

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2010, 21:53:58 »
Me too,  Stephens and p.podded.

Hurrah, had another quick check of Caroby de  Maussane this afternoon, found a couple of pods with nine seeds. I'll do my best not to eat them, hope the mice oblige too! I'll do a photo when they are a little bigger  :) Shall I save you a pod Galina  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 22:23:50 »
I am reading this with great interest, I am a complete dunce when it comes to peas and can never find anyting when I look that I seem to believe should be there.

I would like to find a tall growing one that can be trellised but not a snap or sugar pea, just a regular pea that we pod.

I thought I had found it this year with Mr Big, supposed to get to 5 feet but then found out different growers claim different heights so I am back to square one!! The grower I got my seeds from says 30 inches but can grow 5 feet of trellissed, I got them late so never did get them in the ground. Hopefully for next year I can be ready and find something better.

Alderman is the only one available here and I am told it is very prone to a pea disease so not popular.

Tons of small plant ones available though, but I simply don't have the space.

I also noticed you are talking about number of peas in a pod, I have a couple of catalogues near me so looked up what it says for here. Don't know if this is just claims.. Alderman 8 or 9, Green Arrow 9 to 11 but only 28in plants.Sabre 8 to 10,Lazor 8 to 10, all small plants. Mr Big 9 to 10.

I think I need to start lookng in the SSE book for heirlooms.

As I said a dunce when it comes to peas.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 00:40:26 »
Me too,  Stephens and p.podded.

Hurrah, had another quick check of Caroby de  Maussane this afternoon, found a couple of pods with nine seeds. I'll do my best not to eat them, hope the mice oblige too! I'll do a photo when they are a little bigger  :) Shall I save you a pod Galina  ;D

Yes please.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 00:58:06 »
I would like to find a tall growing one that can be trellised but not a snap or sugar pea, just a regular pea that we pod.

I thought I had found it this year with Mr Big, supposed to get to 5 feet but then found out different growers claim different heights so I am back to square one!! The grower I got my seeds from says 30 inches but can grow 5 feet of trellissed, I got them late so never did get them in the ground. Hopefully for next year I can be ready and find something better.

Pea height varies.  I swapped Dwarf Grey Sugar with a seed saver from Maine.  The gardener in Maine got her seeds from another seedsaver in Colorado.  The Colorado girl reported that the plants were tiny and needed absolutely no staking at all.  In Maine the plants grew to 2 1/2ft  and needed some staking.  Here they grow to 4ft plus and need serious staking.

Latitude/sun angle affects pea length.  If I sow late, I get shorter peas too.  If it stays cool/rainy after planting out peas, they will grow taller than if it gets hot and sunny.  If you like I can send you a few seeds each of several 6ft plus shelling peas to compare, but I can make no promises regarding height and disease resistance in the US.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 04:33:07 »
mm, isn't that strange. I do have Dwarf Grey Sugar too.  If you have plenty of the seeds you mentioned I would like to try, but only if you have lots. I don't want to be  pest and I am asking  everyone about pea seeds it seems !!

This year all I planted was a mix of pea seeds,  had several but all very old seeds, so I chucked them all together in a bed not expecting much and they seem to be growing well, bit late, all small growing types though.

Do I still have time to try the Mr Big?

Thank you for the help, one day I will understand peas!!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 08:08:03 »

XX Jeannine

This might be useful, will take alot of searching tho.

http://www.seeds.ca/hpd/cvlist.php?species=Pea&limit=500&records=1838
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 09:18:59 »
Have had excellent results with peas this year, especially Kelvedon Wonder, tall growing 'Victorian Climbing Pea' and purple podded peas.  I save the seed of purple podded peas and they do seem to cross pollinate so get some which are green podded and some mottled.
We grow a selection of peas on our schools plot, short growing ones, medium height, tall ones and purple podded ones to show that 'peas aren't just one type' - have a group of reception year children coming tomorrow to visit our allotments and try them and they helped plant the Kelvedon Wonder (short) ones on an earlier visit

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2010, 15:07:44 »
No, I don't think it's anything to do with how dry the pods are, all the rest of the pods are purple except these 3.

Purple podded peas - Desiree.
Front pod is Green/purple mottled and back two from same plant are totally green.
I am going to try and save the seeds, but there are only 2 in the mottled pod.

For the record, Onward produced an average of 8 in a pod, Golden Sweet also produced up to 8, the Purple Podded - Desiree never seemed to have big enough pods, peas all squashed together, average of 5 to a pod roughly.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2010, 15:24:55 »
Well the first time in growing Kelvedon on my own ground has yielded an average of 6 peas to the pod which is not all that bad against yours Morality.
I am pleased with the numbers and did not expect the amount we have had.
I shall be trying different ones again next year in the hope that we like those too.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2010, 16:11:31 »
my colossus is producing 10 peas per pod now, not going to pick any more, going to save them for seed  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2010, 17:17:08 »
Alderman is the only one available here and I am told it is very prone to a pea disease so not popular.
As I said a dunce when it comes to peas.
XX Jeannine

It does get mildew in late season, but it's one of the sweetest. Plant in May or early June and you won't have problems, at least over here.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2010, 19:23:53 »
Just podded some Lancashire Lad - all 10 peas per pod and fewer maggots as well ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal