Author Topic: white plastic milk jugs  (Read 3308 times)

puppy2

• Not So New ...
white plastic milk jugs
« on: November 03, 2010, 23:57:03 »
Can you use white plastic milk jugs for a secondary?
Let us have wine and women, mirth and laughter-Sermons and soda-water the day after   Lord Bryron

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: white plastic milk jugs
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:40:03 »
Cut off the top half, then cut it into strips to use as plant labels.  Use the bottom half as plant containers. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 10:10:51 »
Do you mean secondary fermentation (like champagne style) in the moulded plastic milk cartons?

As they are food grade there shouldn't be a problem about using them for your wine/beer, but is the screwcap strong enough (the thread more than the cap) to withstand secondary fermentation pressures? I'm thinking that the carbon dioxide you want to keep in the wine/beer might just escape around the edge of the cap as the pressure builds up.

Mind I do know of a chap who uses the milk cartons as temporary beer storage to bring back real ale bought from the barrel at his local ale shop.

puppy2

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 13:46:14 »
thanks for the replys, as always you all help a lot
Let us have wine and women, mirth and laughter-Sermons and soda-water the day after   Lord Bryron

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 21:17:37 »
BUY SOME 5L  bottled water and use the contents then with a drill and some adaptions you can make  a cheap fermenter
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 01:26:58 »
I use the 2 pint ones for my sloe gin and bramble brandy.... easy way to go is 1lb of fruit, 4-6oz of sugar, fill it up with booze. 1 litre of cheap gin or brandy should make 2x2 pint bottles up....

chrisc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal