Author Topic: Potato vegetation disappearing alarmingly  (Read 4711 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Potato vegetation disappearing alarmingly
« on: June 30, 2010, 10:31:30 »
My earlies are starting to lose their vegetation, no surprise there, they have been in since early March. But the seconds (Rattes) are doing it now too  ??? ???  The plant is suddenly just dying off, leaves going yellow and the plant suddenly just shrivelling up.
It does seem early to me, so I am wondering if they are suffering from the great heat here? It has been hot, but we got rain at verious times, we did get rain on the weekend, and I have watered occasionally (but not much) and the spuds have been heavily mulched for some time, so the soil should not have dried out that much.
Any ideas?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
Re: Potato vegetation disappearing alarmingly
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:42:22 »
My mate has a neighbouring plot to mine and his first earlies are doing the same(Pentland Javelin).   I also have Pent Javs in and they're looking much more healthy so can't really explain why they're doing it.     The only thing I can suggest is dig a plant up and see how the spuds are.

Mark

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 15:16:17 »
I have just dug up a red duke of york which had wilted.  Potatoes small but look fine and there were lots of very small ones looking like they should have got bigger.  It is interesting that it is happening to potatoes that have been rained on, I just thought it was lack of water. 

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 20:45:35 »
It's also happening to some of my early and maincrop potatos....it has only happened to the odd one though which i put down to lack of water but it is strange that others are ok (so far)
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Allotment-junkie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 07:03:38 »
I suggest you check for Blackleg or even aminopyralid ??

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 07:33:10 »
Our earlies do that most years and we just put it down to them being ready to eat
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 07:33:48 »
I would still check the soil. It has rained here quite heavily but 24 hours later the soil was bone dry. Some of my potatoes were wilting but now that I've watered are looking fine again.

sweetsaphie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 12:37:25 »
i dug a bag of my potates up just then, and some of them have like warts on them are they ok to eat or should i throw them away  , all the leaves on my others are dying also , some of the potatoes are so big

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 16:30:17 »
sounds like a bit of scab, saphie..they're fine to eat, I know what you mean about the size of your spuds, some of our main crop are nearly jacket size already  ;D

sweetsaphie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 16:46:45 »
sounds like a bit of scab, saphie..they're fine to eat, I know what you mean about the size of your spuds, some of our main crop are nearly jacket size already  ;D
thanks manicscousers, just made a lovely potato salad , i ended up digging them all up so i have tons , some of them were wee but mostly big uns

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 16:48:28 »
enjoy them, we're digging the next lot up on sunday  ;D

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 10:36:53 »
I did dig up the plant on Saturday, there are potatoes underneath, a lot in fact and they are healthy it seems but still quite small ones. If I leave them, will they still swell? Even if there is no greenery?
It looked as if the stem died ??? The base of the stem was wilted up and shrunken.

It's a bad year for spuds as the bloody vole got into the earlies and many of them got eaten!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 14:08:15 »
Sounds a bit like blackleg.  I've had the same problems with Pentland Javelin and Anya this year. Never grown PJ before so not sure if the foliage is normally sparse but mine were flowering when there were only four or five leaves up on every plant.  Very poor crop as well.
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 14:29:03 »
I am not sure that it is, as there is no "rot" exactly, the stems are completely dried up. The base of the stem is wilted, rather like you see sometimes in squash plants when the stem starts to die off. However there is no sign of rot in the potatoes underneath. They are "ratte" variety, rather annoying as they were expensive. There are loads of potatoes on each plant too. I will leave them anyway. I guess if they swell, good, if not at least they are cool underground.

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 10:56:35 »
Hi All

I planted Home Guard - a very popular variety down here, and exactly the same thing is happening.  One by one, the plants are just shrivelling up, despite watering (sparsely) and the tubers, such as they are, are like marbles.  My plants don't even have any flowers yet.  I have never grown Home Guard before, so am not sure just how normal all this is.  My Lady Crystls, however, are doing fine, despite the hot weather, and, again, very little watering.

I dunno, potatoes should be the easiest crop but sometimes they just don't 'do', do they?

Regards Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

amphibian

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 22:30:20 »
My first and second earlies are poor this year, the plants look rough, wilting and browning but not die back. The tubers are small and the yields are shocking.

I don't water my spuds, but this is the driest season we've had for a while and I should have watered them I suppose. I'm going to start watering my EMC and MC spuds.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 18:10:51 »
Mine are wilting as well. It must be the drought, but they're well mulched, from long before everything dried out.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 10:58:34 »
My potatoes are looking surprisingly brilliant - I think I put them in early enough to benefit from winter rains without actually getting frosted, by complete chance.

BUT! Something is digging them up, and leaving them lying about going green! Obviously then not a person who is short of potatoes himself.

Is it a desperate badger looking for slugs? My only consolation is that they are really big already, though green, plus I have overdone the potato planting and have more than enough left.

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 13:10:33 »
That could well be a vole. That is what it also did to mine, as well as eating them in situ...

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 10:02:26 »
Ok I finally have some pics. Is this potato blight or  what? Funny thing is that the potatoes seem fine??? (so far)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal