Author Topic: This is a plot being used ?  (Read 13233 times)

beckydore

• Half Acre
Re: This is a plot being used ?
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 19:46:54 »
After my post about being terminated from my plot, I was dreading opening this post in case it was my old plot on show. I have to say mine was nowhere near as bad as the ones pictured (thank goodness).
Becky

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2010, 20:36:30 »
shirl ur making my ears burn! Im getting there with mine albeit slowly!
i cant afford to spray 2 kill the couch and after establishing that digging the surface off doesnt work im now using black plastic, it doesnt look very good but its doing the job, i just need a bit o time which i was told i had when i took it on and had a choice of plots i completely understand that theres a waiting list n mines easy 2 chop up but there are far far worse plots than mine and i havent the funds as i said to breeze in spray clear rotivate cover and fill with fancy things as some do only then to leave it to go to weeds??? i dont get the 3 chaps next to me and have cut the grass path that dave used 2 keep strimmed, dont kno if its mine or not but i do know ill get the blame :( havent been down yet since sat as ellie has a high temp and im praying 4 rain as im fretting about my plants, my green babies! lol im learning as i go along tho..

anyhoo how do u legislate 4 the skint ones who do all by hand ie the time consuming hard way? im still slowly adding to my tool etc kit n have 2 say wow i love my hoe!! lol! but it could take a person a few months just 2 cultivate a small patch (think time 2 germinate seeds after youve cleared and planted) i was told to clear plant and then care for a bit at a time till id worked my way thru the lot? better to do it properly than rush and make life hard? (hides) im trying....
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2010, 20:57:52 »
Loopyloulou - I think the way you're doing it is fine. I haven't got enough money or time to do quick dramatic makeovers either. But if you work on it consistently, it will get there.

Gardening doesn't have to be one more consumer activity, it's about hard work and patience. And if you haven't got money, it makes you more resourceful, re-using old things which would go to landfill. And it makes you share with others, lend and borrow. So I think that's great.

It does take time to get a plot looking really good. As long as you're moving forward not back, then you don't need to worry. And we all know a garden is never finished - they always keep changing year after year. That's what's so fascinating about gardening.

Having said that - the sort of plots we're grumbling about are those which are moving backwards not forwards!

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2010, 21:18:41 »
Loopy - it's not about dosh but enthusiasm.  It is always very obvious those plotholders who are working gradually and those who just come and talk to the weeds. :o

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2010, 21:23:19 »
The man next door to me doesn't even talk to his weeds. Maybe that's why they're always trying to move into my plot for some company  ;D

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2010, 20:47:40 »
lol @ pigeonseed  ;D i trampled mine 2day in a frantic watering effort while the bubs helped me with the raspberrys, she ate em quicker than i could pick em!!  :P
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2010, 15:16:15 »
 :)

Update on start of this post the picture

its still the same  ;D
i don't belive death is the end

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2010, 22:11:29 »
Same on either side of me - except it's getting worse of course! I keep getting nettled when I walk down the path. Makes me swear!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2010, 08:45:44 »
Loopyloulou.So pleased that I saw you yesterday and was able to tell you that It wasn't your plot that I was on about.
Hope you got the raspberry stains off the babby.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

fuchsia

• Not So New ...
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2010, 22:33:04 »
I am the site secretary for our site but I also deal with plot letting.We had a problem like this with people taking on plots that they didn`t have time to manage. So instead of giving them a large plot (5 rods) I now give them a 2 1/2 rod plot and when they can manage this then after 12 months they move onto a 5 rod plot when one becomes available.Some plot holders are very happy staying on small plots because of the time factor.
When I have had plot holders that have let their plots go, I have managed to persuade them to take up a smaller up together plot or give up their plot completely and put them back on the waiting list (currently 6yrs long) for when they have more time to manage a plot. This has worked well and we have a full site of 91 plots being fully worked and a long waiting list.
I also offer a buddy service whereby people on the waiting list are matched with plot holders that are struggling with their plots due to varying reasons. This means the people on the waiting list get experience and friendship from the plot holder and the plot holder gets some help managing to maintain their plot, friendship and a chance to share their experience of growing. This in turn cuts down the number of new plot holders abandoning or neglecting their plots because they have gained experience, developed friendships on the site and are excited about getting their plots by the time they are offered one.
All that said, you need a good committee or council to deal with abandoned plots quickly and efficiently.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2010, 08:20:21 »
One can only dream Fuchsia.Where exactly is your site?
                             I want em saying

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2010, 09:06:21 »
For the same reason, we started a scheme last autumn of small Starter Plots - two raised beds each about 4' by 12', plus a small cold frame.

We've got 6 of these, and have just let the last one. But one plot-holder has already taken on a full-size plot, and another couple have just asked. (Six months ago, they didn't even know how to plant a potato!)

And at our open day on Sunday, everyone stopped to look at the Starter Plots because they were so beautiful!

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2010, 09:59:54 »
We do a plot inspection every month for the 'plot of the month' whilst doing it we can identify any plots not being done and the 3 strikes swings into action!
We have the 3 month prob now after amending the rules at the AGM and the contract they sign has a warning that they are 3 months prob and if after that time little or no work has been done they are evicted with no further questions, they are all made aware of this before they sign and a month after they take their plot on they are invited to a mentoring session and they are told if they have any problems to speak to a committee member and get help ! Its worked really well and we have far less new members taking on plots and not doing anything, after a year they can move to a bigger plot if they have done well, it makes it so much easier.
Yes we do have problems on older member plots but nothing that is to bad, even myself and hubby had a problem due to health and we had help to keep us going and we are back on top of it all now, sometimes there are reasons but there is no excuse not to ask for help !
Being self managed works if you have a good committee who work for the site and not themselves :)

fuchsia

• Not So New ...
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2010, 21:05:47 »
Hi Shirlton

Our site is in Christchurch, Dorset. It has taken nearly 3 years to iron out these problems.
And I still have a couple of miserable B******S that do just enough to make it look like they are working their plot but are still a mass of weeds !!! lol.
You can lead a horse to water but you can`t make it drink *!"? lol.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2010, 06:12:55 »
Well done Fuchsia.Funny how you always get a couple of miserable b*****ds whichever allotment site you are. ;D ;D ;D. Don't think I could hang around for 3 years until it got sorted. Take me hat off to you.
                             I want em saying

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2010, 12:28:31 »
One rather angry plotholder showed me round his plot a while ago; he'd planted two pumpkins, strimmed some of it, and got some black plastic (he showed me the roll). He didn't understand why he'd had a phone call. He hasn't been back since, and the plastic is still rolled up in his shed. Some people will never get it.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2010, 13:19:59 »
One rather angry plotholder showed me round his plot a while ago; he'd planted two pumpkins, strimmed some of it, and got some black plastic (he showed me the roll). He didn't understand why he'd had a phone call. He hasn't been back since, and the plastic is still rolled up in his shed. Some people will never get it.
It makes you wonder why people want a plot ???
Could it be so they can impress their friends when they say "on my allotment "..... >:(
sanity is overated

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2010, 15:10:03 »
oh its mac mac,a mate of mine had a plot on our site,did nothing to it except pop up occassionally to sunbathe,and yet his facebook status would read *there is nothing like home grown veg* or *phew another hard days work at the allotment* me and the OH would howl with laughter! In the end he took great exception to my friendly warnings,then letters and we now dont speak!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2010, 15:24:06 »
Hi all,

When the half plot next to mine was empty I wrote to the council and told them I would strim it to prevent weeds from spreading and take down structures that were falling into my plot. I took their lack of response as permission and did just that.

I also accidentally dropped a few king edwards into holes on the plot.  ;D

Eventually they offered it to me and now its my pumpkin patch plot.

Now I strim up to a metre into any empty or unworked plot adjacent to one of mine
to keep the weeds and slugs at bay.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2010, 22:55:02 »
Good for you! I must admit after seeing this thread, I'm half hoping no one takes the plots next to mine, so one day I can expand the empire!

I can't face cutting them down though - I've only got shears. I'd like a petrol strimmer but they seem very expensive.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal