Author Topic: tree ferns  (Read 1781 times)

viv

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
tree ferns
« on: December 08, 2004, 08:43:29 »
I have a small dicksonia antarctica, only purchased this year.  As it is only a baby I have brought it into my (unheated) conservatory for the winter, where it has been thriving.  Howeve suddenly the fronds have started to shrivel up for no apparent reason.   I have trimmed off the shrivelled ones, just leaving the green and healthy ones, and am keeping it watered.  Will it be okay, and is there anything else I need to do with it?

Thanks

Viv

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re:tree ferns
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 10:31:11 »
Hi Viv :) Depends on what you call small??? I have a 3ft trunked D icksonia antarctica that has stayed out for the past three winters with just a handful of straw in the crown and a bit of fleece wrapped around the trunk. If you have the room to store indoors then what you are doing at the mo is just fine and when you decide to risk leaving it out in winter just tie the fronds up to cover the crown for added protection.
I see you are located in the south east corner and may rarely see temps down to -9°C that D/a's can endure in their habitat, drying out will kill them. 8)

viv

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 10:48:05 »
Thanks Roy, knowing you were the expert I hoped you'd answer!  :D

It really is a baby, about 6" stem and leaves about 6 - 12" above that! that's why I brought it in this year with plans to put it out in the garden next year.  I have the same plan for some trachycarpus fortunei which are also babies and are lurking in the conservatory for the winter until they have grown a bit more

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 11:57:12 »
Thanks for the compliment Viv  :) but I'm as green as the leaves on my Trachy seedlings, :-[ these are now 5 years old and may have doubled in size had I planted them out after a couple of years, they are quite tough seedlings and will tolerate temps down to -12.0°C when mature. 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal