Author Topic: Just been given an allotment  (Read 2447 times)

aj

• Hectare
Re: Just been given an allotment
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 09:58:59 »
If you do rotavate then you need to cover the lot with cardboard to suppress new growth.

You can cover with cardboard and use some of the rotavated soil to weigh the cardboard down. You can also do this and plant through the cardboard...

I think I would rotavate and rake out all the roots that you can; then put cardboard down all over the plot.

If you are thinking of having beds and paths, then put weed fabric down and only walk on the path.

Then you can work on a bit at a time, clear it thoroughly and plant up. Meanwhile; deal with any persistent weeds that grow up through the card - thistles and docks and horseradish seem to be the most rampant on my plot, brambles will also grow straight through and will need digging out from the roots]. Anytime you get more cardboard [or newspaper] put it on where you think it is needed and weigh it down.

For the first season next year you could just plant straight through until you are decided on your layout and how you are going to grow....you still have time this season to buy 10 odd squashes and dot them all over the plot and let them run rampant thus adding to the weight keeping the cardboard down.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 13:23:55 »
We have a farm supply shop near us & they have huge amounts of cardboard in large pieces that we could have had but have had to double dig & trench as the plot hasn't been worked for 10 years. Is there anything similar near you?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 15:46:17 »
Put down a big sheet of black plastic and weigh the edges down with bricks or whatever. It'll lift at first, but the weeds underneath will soon collapse.

dyehard

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 16:39:19 »
Wow, I cannot belive the amount of helpful replies I have had.
Thank you all>
It looks as if Im in for a lot of hard work digging but as they say what doesnt kill you makes you stronger

Thanks Again

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal