Author Topic: Can anyone advise me I have to buy a new laptop and no-one here to help me  (Read 9655 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Still on the search but trying hard, can you folks bear with me a bit longer,the one I have now is losing it's functions fast so is going to die anyday now.

I have been on Amazon and have made a wishlist which I am told is visible to friends , if I have done the link right you should be able to see it

http://www.amazon.ca/wishlist/N11TKE1QBMS9

There are a few there, a couple say Vista which I don't like but have/ Pro after it so don't know if that is different.

One has Windows 7 which I don't know

and a couple on sale, not in my wishlist still have XP which I understand better but I should probably move on.

Hope this works as I am getting desperate, went inot 3 or 4 shopa last week and it was terrible, they could just see I was a sitting duck.

It seem to have done the link so please, if you still have any patience left with me I would really love the help

I think it is the bottom one which I favour. the one with Windows 7..don't know why.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 19:28:00 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
It looks ok Jeannine. re Windows 7, my OH has it and it seems good, and from all reports is miles better than Vista!!

I'll go and have a proper look at that last one you mentioned .......

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
oh this is tricky, but it looks good to me, its a tough choice Jeannine, XP is great, but as you say maybe time to move on. The Toshiba seems to have all the features you mentioned needing. It also seems a decent price
But I'd like to have a 2nd on it!!! Anyone else???

1066  :)

queenbee

• Acre
Hi Jeannine,

I too had the problem of buying a new computer and couldn't decide which windows 7 or Vista, I chose Vista as I thought most of the glitches would have been sorted. I honestly do not think that there is much difference between any of them,  my last computer had XP and I find that Vista has really just moved things about and made it a bit more complicated but much the same. I have a book called Windows ME for dummies and it still works for Vista. I suppose they have to make money with these new ones. At the end of the day they are all same. Does anyone out there agree with me.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Oh Ta ever so..we are getting closer.

The one at the top of the list says Vista/XP Pro... I don't understand that.I tought it was one or the other.Does this mean on this machine I have a choice of either or does is mean it has both..sorry to sound so dumb.

I don't want Vista.. I have that now and don't like it.

XP Pro was what I had before till it  died on me and I got on OK with that

Windows 7  I guess is the new one and I think that is perhaps what I should get, but would like to know the answer to my first question before I decide.

I think the one I am leaning towards is the bottom one, probably because it is Windows 7

I have just looked and the prices have changed since I first posted, they were all on sale a few hours ago!!! This is driving me nuts!!

XX Jeannine

I've just been back on Amazon and most of what I looked at this morning have already gone, I should have just hit the button and bought the Toshiba  with Windows7..or well what is here now is different, I guess because I was looking at the flyer that told me about the ones on sale I might have expected it.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:57:37 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Hi Jeannine
I'm a Mac person myself so no expert on PCs but from what I have read Windows 7 has, allegedly, got rid of all the things people hated about Vista so would presumably be preferable.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Hi Anne, yes I think you are right,I think at this point it is the only bit I have decided. gosh this is frustrating XX Jeannine

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
drats!!

Have a look at this one on Amazon Jeannine - looks ok (I think!)
http://www.amazon.ca/Satellite-S300l-T5870-160gb-15-4in/dp/B002UYK414/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280131827&sr=1-3

Do you have ebuyer in Canada? cos I've used them here to buy laptops, and they do excellent prices and good products

Anyone else any bright ideas? Or could sanity check the one in the link?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Hi, I checked it, bit I wonder if I was on a winner withe onw that went quick, it was $700 someting bit that was half price almost as it was on sale so i presumed I was getting a better one for my money.

Someone just told me that Amazon do this all the time but they only sell a few so folks buy them fast, I was told to watch as there may be more coming along.I took their offerof am e mail if tey get another one like the one I liked.

I never expected them to go that fast.

I was quite proud of myself this morning..somewhat deflated now, but I did learn a valuable lesson.

What is an ebuyer?

XX Jeannine

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
Yes it does look like Amazon do these things on "sale", I guess as you say you will have to keep on looking

Sorry I should have been clearer - eybuyer.com ( http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Netbooks ) are a company here in the UK that sell laptops, software etc etc, and I've used them for some years now, and they tend to do some good deals, are very reliable etc. and I was wondering if there was an equivalent company in Canada. Ebuyer only seem to ship to the UK

hope you find something soon

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
I think it is a bit of luck whether you get a good product when you buy one.  I do not always find the time taken to choose a product always equates with success.   When I decided to buy something I usually come back with one.  My OH goes to have a look and spends so long looking I have long since given up and gone home.  Sounds like I am impulsive but I get the urge to buy things so infrequently there is no problem.

Not sure you need a better one for your money Jeannine  Do you play computer games with amazing graphics?    If something is reduced it is because it is not selling.  If others do not want it, why do you?

If you take lots of pictures go for a large hard disk.  I also have a partable harddrive which is a great idea if I could find it.

Any new thing takes a few days to get used to but in the end you learn to live with what you have.   I have Vista and quite frankly have had few issues with it.  Though it worked better before it upgraded itself and now when you log on the screen goes blank.    I wish I had one with a separate number pad, but that is only because I spendt years at work using an adding machines, so I bought a separate number pad.

Mushy Pea

• Acre
I think it is a bit of luck whether you get a good product when you buy one.  I do not always find the time taken to choose a product always equates with success.   

:) I agree with Digeroo. Often you spend ages looking and then still don't really get what you want.

It is horses for courses I'm afraid. You need the fastest chip with the most memory and biggest hard drive for the money you can get. After that Vista or Windows 7? I have both, vista on my main PC and 7 on my netbook. I think I'd err towards Windows 7 as I have a few problems with Vista (all my accessory programs have vanished e.g paint  ??? )

Hope you find a good replacement soon.

MP

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
I find if it something I understand I can go out and make m mind up in seconds but if not I need to educate myself s bit first.

A few years ago I bought a new pressure cooker as my old one buckled, simple one would think, John oicked up the identicale on at Argos but I sent ti back, it was lightweight, part were flimsy, thw whole thing was really poor standard to the one I had so I needed to search.

Given everything I needed in a pressure cooker I started to look and I fund there were tons more out there than I wa aware, I finally settled for a Scandinavian one, expensive but a superb pan.

This is probably the last laptop I shall buy and I don't want to by soemthing I don't like or with features I won't use BUT.. becuse I don't understand them I don't know about many of the features anyway so need to learn more about them generally.

If we were talking about an electric kiln, they come with tons of options and I know them inside out and  I doubt too many people do,,I do not know laptops so am in a shady area. I just don't feel comfortable buying one. All y others were provided for me so I took what I got.

Regarding buying one on sale, I presume beacuse they are last years models like most things they may have more features than a cheaper one, I may not use them or go looking for them but if they are in the machine I do have the option of learning about them and if I didn't pay extra to get them in the first place I have nothing to lose.

John was always my mentor for stuff like this but he can't help me anymore.

Something will no doubt come along when the time is right.

I really do appreciate your help.

I guess I could have asked, if someone had bought a new laptop what made them buy the one they chose.

XX Jeannine

PS the typos are not me..the keys are all playing up!!

Tulipa

• Hectare
Hi Jeannine,

It is hard to decide isn't it!  We have three Dell laptops in our house....

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/laptops_great_deals/fs.aspx?refid=laptops_great_deals&s=dhs&cid=HDLaptop&cs=ukdhs1&dgc=IR&lid=SHP_BK1

sounds a lot but two were bought for offspring going to uni and I have just got one too, we are really pleased with them, we have Inspiron 15 dual core and they certainly have done everything we need.  I have Windows 7 and am really impressed with it.  I have other friends with Dell who have been impressed too.

Good luck xx

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Amazon has mailed mt to say the one i fancied was back in stock but back at it's regular price..drats XX Jeannine

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
keep going Jeannine, you are doing great.
Have you checked the Amazon sale ones today? Anything there?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal