Author Topic: Roses advice please  (Read 1786 times)

small

• Hectare
Roses advice please
« on: November 03, 2010, 18:35:20 »
My parents have decided that they want just rosebushes in their front garden - northfacing, two small lawns with borders round, typical double-fronted thirties bungalow - and as I do all their gardening it's down to me. So, what are the best sort to buy? I've seen a David Austin catalogue, are they really the only sort to get now? My rose knowlege was acquired in the 1970's and I suspect I'm a bit out of date. Planting and care I can do, it's the initial choice I'd like advice on, please.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Roses advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 20:09:48 »
For ease of maintenance et cetera it's still hard to beat the "rugosa" roses... We also have a "Souvenir du Dr Jamain(sic?)" which likes the North front of our house but needs a bit of vertical support... if you want "standards" you'll ahve to wait for someone else...  :-\

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 20:20:56 »
There is whole world of roses out there..David Austin is good and I have bought quite few from them but have you had a look of Peter Beales site?..another big one..
They do selection chart..for site and purpose and then you just pick colour and they give you best options. Standars are good for the height and you can underplant with bushes..to give really full effect..but It all down to your taste of colours and type and how much you can spend.
www.peterbealesroses.com..see if they could narrow down your selection..Lets us know what tickles your taste and maybe some of us already grows those and can advise you further.
What sort do you or your parents like?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 21:19:10 »
You can get loads of cheapies from garden centres etc. But I recommend the David Austen range as most of their roses are disease  resistant. Pricy but worth it.

Some of mine have been in a couple of show gardens this year, pruned down and replanted in my garden and they are still in bloom now. No blackspot or wilt.

Pococks are also very good, I think they also trade under Cornish roses.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 21:21:49 »
That looks a lovely site, Goodlife, I'll peruse it thoroughly and might well use them. Saddad, my mother won't have 'Rugosa',  I think they might be a bit spready for the narrow-ish borders anyway.  And she doesn't like standards....Money is no object for them and I live next door so maintainance is easy....all further advice still welcome....
Just seen Ace's post, I'll check out Pococks as well.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 21:53:41 »
David Austin's roses are fabous but the English Ross do form fairly large bushes fairly quickly so choose carefully!  There are lots of really lovely hybrid teas and floribunda in the catalogue as well many of which tend to be more compact.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal