Author Topic: Rearing chicks with a broody hen  (Read 2619 times)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Rearing chicks with a broody hen
« on: June 09, 2010, 15:50:23 »
One of our chickens went broody so i got some fertilised eggs for her to sit on. I've seperated her from the rest, i'm wanting to know what to do when they hatch(fingers crossed) any advice anyone?

jonny211

• Acre
Re: Rearing chicks with a broody hen
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 17:15:04 »
Hiya,

Just put down chick crumbs for them all to eat. She'll teach them how to scratch, eat and drink and hide from the rain.

To be honest you may not be able to do much as mummy might take offence and chase you off.

Jon

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 23:20:40 »
Make sure they are all safe from predators, and that the water container is suitable for chicks (i.e, not too deep, maybe put pebbles in the container for a few days so they don't drown ::) They and Mum will be ok on chick crumbs for about 6 weeks, by which time she will probably have had enough and want to go back to the flock, and they should be well feathered.  At this time change their feed for Growers. Don't worry if the hatch is over 1/2 days and she seems to be ignoring the first chicks, they have enough food from the egg yolk for 36/48 hours. If the chick crumbs contain a coccidiostat there may be a withdrawal period for the eggs, so when Mum starts laying again allow for this. Good luck with the hatch, having 'supervised' a dozen or more hatches over the last 4 years I can tell you there's no feeling like seeing a new Mum with her chicks. Have just hatched six and have another broody with eleven eggs under her, just can't resist!

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 15:58:40 »
Thanks for the replys. When they hatch how long is it before they can walk oh and how long before the eggs hatch is it 3 weeks. ?

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 16:00:48 »
they walk straight away i think, and the average is 24 days

heres a good site for chicken keeping.......

http://www.downthelane.net/forum/index.php
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 23:11:08 »
They are able to walk as soon as they have dried out but they will probably not show their faces until they have recovered from the hatch, they will rest under mum. A normal hatch is 21 days, day one being the day after placing the eggs under the broody, but I have had them hatch as soon as day 19 and as late as  day 23.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 09:37:17 »
Thanks again.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 19:18:38 »
Just thought i'd report back. Only one of the eggs hatched, lovely little chick emerged on Monday. Put crumbs down and chick was feeding itself by Tuesday. Went allotment on Wednesday and poor little thing had died, completely dumfounded.

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 23:57:33 »
 :(Did Mum seem to be looking after it ok when it hatched? Maybe she stood on it by mistake, some are a bit clumsy. Had you noticed whether it was drinking, it has been very hot recently and water is vital. Was it just dead in the nest?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal