Author Topic: How are your swapsies doing ?  (Read 3201 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
How are your swapsies doing ?
« on: June 25, 2010, 13:48:15 »
Well all the squash I decided to sow this year are in the ground and getting used to life on the south coast.

From ChrisCross' swap the Lunga Di Napoli is definitely the largest so far, and I have to admit I managed to kill the Pink Banana shortly after I planted out  :'(  :-[ plus I decapitated one of my Snowmen  :-X On the plus side the Festivals and Hooligans are looking nice and strong and sturdy (appropriate for a Glastonbury weekend!!). The Futsu are slow growing and the Potimarron are positively romping away

So how are all your swaps doing?

1066  :)

mpdjulie

• Acre
Re: How are your swapsies doing ?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 10:39:46 »
These are mine from the swap.
These are at the lottie of which at the moment I have 12 squash growing.

A delicata squash growing

A jumbo pink banana

A rouge vif etampes

A burgess buttercup

All the above photos were taken on the 21st June.  Since then they have all tripled in size.

I have more growing at home but I can’t find where I saved the pictures.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 13:21:10 »
looking great mpdjulie  ;D And way ahead of mine. I think mine really sulked this year when they were planted out - didn't have that probelm last year and so can't quite figure out what I've done differently! Oh well I'm sure with this hot weather they will catch up!!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 14:34:21 »
Hmm...those only look so big because they've been taken as close-ups.. ::)
My pea-size pumpkins would look exactly same... ::) Ohhh...envy is not nice feeling... ::)...oh well at least mine are alive..only lost one this year..but I shall be looking for the flowers soon...so I can do some "pollen fairy work".. ;D

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 07:57:40 »
Hmm...those only look so big because they've been taken as close-ups.. ::)
My pea-size pumpkins would look exactly same... ::) Ohhh...envy is not nice feeling... ::)...oh well at least mine are alive..only lost one this year..but I shall be looking for the flowers soon...so I can do some "pollen fairy work".. ;D

The ones in the last two pictures are now the size of small footballs  :P

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 08:11:25 »
 :o...what are you doing to them...are you pumping them up or something.. ;D ;)

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 07:35:35 »
:o...what are you doing to them...are you pumping them up or something.. ;D ;)

Just some fortnightly miraclegrow straight into the pop bottle inserted at the plants base.  Honestly, every evening I go they seem to have grown a little more but I don't know how big they are supposed to get.
Julie

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 18:15:09 »
Wow... you're miles ahead of me.... Mine went out when I got back from Glasters except for the Atlantic Giants which I managed to get out before. They all seem happy though a few of the ones that were in smaller pots before planting out (and therefore in sand-saucers of water pretty much all the time) looked a bit wilty for a couple of days but they've picked up with some watering and they're porbably now getting roots down into the damp soil on our plot...... Got to keep an eye on the ones on the plots cos
1: We had an outbreak of pumpkin theft last year, so the Rouge vif d'Etampes, Becky and TOndo di Padana (big gold and green stripey thing, but some got stolen last year)  need to be harvested early, probalby first week of October

and

2: Like a fool I've planted Tondo di Toscana on the plot whereas all the rest of the courgettes are at home...

chrisc

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 10:37:39 »
Just thought I would update as I think my squashes deserve the attention.

Some pics of my pumpkin patch:

My jumbo pink banana which is just under a foot long now.

burgess buttercup

rouge vif etampes

boston winter (can’t figure out what the others are as the leaf growth is too thick for me to sort through)

boston winter

There are plenty more growing but I can’t get into them to take a photo without damaging the plants.  Considering this is my first attempt at growing squash, I think I’m doing okay.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 07:27:08 »
Julie - you are doing fantastically those are all in positively rude health!!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal