Author Topic: Growing a winter garden  (Read 39847 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Growing a winter garden
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2010, 13:13:18 »
Lots of suggestions there then - particuarly interested in the Red Kales, will have to go and do some research!
And will also be checking up on Elliot Coleman's book  :) - any others that people would recommend?

Jeannine, you mentioned growing salads indoors - can you tell me a bit more - like what kind of pot, type of salads? I only have a placcy greenhouse and a cloche, and have struggled in the past to keep things going indoors

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 13:38:06 »
I grow salads all year round in the greenhouse and I use any old pot I can find but favour cheap window boxes - not too deep and they mimic a small row - and I grow mustards, lettuces, mizuna, mibuna and rocket - all appear to be winter hardy especially any so called oriental type salads which will grow good outdoors as well

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2010, 13:51:14 »
And will also be checking up on Elliot Coleman's book  :) - any others that people would recommend?
Salad Leaves For All Seasons by Charles Dowding is extremely good for the UK growing climate.
http://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/Books-Salad-Leaves-For-All-Seasons
It certainly tells you how to do it, pots, tubs, cloches etc. and the right time to sow a gazillion varieties for the best results.
My only problems with it are I don't eat a lot of salad and he has a taste for the bitter which I don't share, otherwise a very worthwhile read.  
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 13:54:22 by earlypea »

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2010, 13:58:27 »
Cheaper at Amazon & abe books though. Got both his books. Brilliant. Now converted to no dig. Well I've converted OH to it. Lovely man, Charles & OH. Emailed him with questions & he gets back same day usually.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2010, 14:03:20 »
I've got a couple of the wine boxes like Alys used on her edible garden 8). I've also got some troughs behind the shed I think. OH goes to the tip when I'm out. It delays the row ;).

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2010, 14:10:28 »
When should Christmas time potatoes be planted and what varieties do you recommend.
Also is it too late to plant out brussel sprout seeds?
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2010, 14:52:57 »
I've just looked on Garden Action site & they say August.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2010, 17:15:56 »
will be sowing greyhound cabbages and long re florence onions in august to plant out september, greyhounds will be picked young as spring cabbages and some left to heart up ..we're just pulling the onions from last year, not one has bolted  ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2010, 17:56:18 »
I was only thinking today how I would like to grow some onions from seed. They sound good Manic, where did you get the seeds from please?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2010, 18:05:10 »
Hold on there grannyjanny...do not go and buy any onion seeds...just have a look of your PM.. ;)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2010, 18:22:40 »
I was only thinking today how I would like to grow some onions from seed. They sound good Manic, where did you get the seeds from please?
mine were franchi seeds, Janet..the long red I bought from kings didn't say grow over winter but the franchi seeds did  ???
anyway, i tried it in autumn last year and it worked, if they can get through a winter as bad as last, I'm sticking with them  ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2010, 18:35:50 »
Thanks Manic. I know where to look now.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2010, 22:38:11 »
Hi, re salads indoors.Currently I have going

Mixed salad leaves, just planted and spring onions  also just planted..these are on he windowsills inside in window boxes.

Under my lights I have  1 tray  of Tom Thumb lettuce and 1 tray of Little Gem lettuce, these are growing very well, will try and get a picture for you, I am growing these in deep trays, they are the ones that are in the bottom of fridges usually to keep veggies etc  in. I also have radish just breaking the surface in a smaller deep box, a bit like a shoe box.

I have two other window boxes in my bedroom which I will plant one  with assorted brassicas to eat as mini greens and te other to grow spinach.

I usually grow this type of thing during the winter,used to do it in my heated greenhouse in the UK with a regular flourescent light on hand if needed.This is the first time I have used proper lights.

I also have an  a small tom growing, it was from seeds I saved from a Tommy Toe plant I grew a couple of years ago, one branch was totally different to the others, it is growing like a mini tom not at all like a Tommy Toe.

I have found a couple of dwarf kale varieties that I am hoping to get seeds for.

Fribor Kale
Showbor
Westland

Is anyone familiar with them please?

As usual I am going to be stuck for space but next year when I assume we will have a second small plot one of them will be just used for a winter garden. This year I will be muddling through.

I would like to get some Walla Walla onions in this year, they can be planted for over winter or spring sown but they are incedibly sweet if overwintered.

Quite a few good books currently on Amazon here, used plus shipping saves a lot over new and free shipping so I am looking into

Mortality we have started a whole seperate  post on planting spuds for Christmas.

I might have some spare seeds for caulis for overwintering if still time, I will take a look.

XX Jeannine

XX Jeannin e
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2010, 22:49:33 »
Jeannine..I've got some walla walla..not much..but some..shall I pop those in for your parcel?... ;D ;)..there should be enough for small bed..

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2010, 23:15:21 »
Goodlife, thank you but don't send , I don't want them to waste.I have them  already, it is a US onion,  the area,(Walla Walla) is not far over the border either so it is almost a local onion here and  a regualar one for me. I can actually get the plants from Walla Walla.Thank you so much for the offer though, it was lovely of  you to offer.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2010, 09:06:31 »
Oh...now I know that too..I was wondering what sort of name is that.. ::)...I was going to google it and see the meaning..saved me a job.. ;D
There is some funny sounding places in the world.. ::)..wouldn just one Walla been enough..? ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2010, 17:48:15 »
Hi guys, did you notice ..I asked and got this post made into a sticky!!! Thank you Sam

XX Jeannine

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2010, 17:28:33 »
Please tell me about this business of eating pea shoots. Do you get one shoot per pea seed? or are you talking branches? And what kind of pea.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2010, 17:43:00 »
GA. I bought a packet of dried marrowfat peas (as seen on the edible garden) & put them in compost & watered  them. We were eating them less than 3 weeks later & they were lovely.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2010, 20:50:49 »
GA. I bought a packet of dried marrowfat peas (as seen on the edible garden) & put them in compost & watered  them. We were eating them less than 3 weeks later & they were lovely.
But if you cut off the first shoot does one seed produce more shoots? or do you leave part of the stem to regrow?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal