Author Topic: Growing a winter garden  (Read 39870 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Growing a winter garden
« Reply #200 on: February 15, 2011, 04:49:40 »
Robert I uase agricultural fleece XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #201 on: February 15, 2011, 07:40:38 »
My autumn planted shallots, onions and garlic have really perked up over the last couple of weeks. The broad beans, however, were cut down by the frosts for the second year running (Aquadulce).

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #202 on: March 12, 2011, 18:59:07 »
I am SO pleased with my aquadulce BBs. Most of them died last winter, but have survived through this one even though it was worse. They look every bit as good as my neighbour's which he has recently planted out from their greenhouse pots!

Oddly, the best are the ones I sowed  on 15th November; they crouched underground, I suppose, until things improved - I thought they had died. The 20th October ones came off worst, being well above ground when snow and frost struck. I think I will try to remember this. I am in East Sussex, and in future will go for two sowings on purpose, instead of by accident. I always chit them first, believing that mice etc avoid them, and they get a better start in cooling soil.

I lost all except one red cabbage, but am leaving them there in case they develop. PSB is fairly good, only just starting (being sold in cheap market today for £2 per pound!)  Ragged Jack kale/Red Russian was hammered, and only five have survived, surprisingly. Strong. well grown plants, a year old, most just keeled over.

Chicory/endive/whatever surviving very well, and I never grow enough of them (Sugar Loaf and a tough looking Italian one, grumolo verde).

Land cress excellent, a really good leaf to add to salads, and the sorrel is amazingly energetic and has been for a month. Leeks good, perpetual spinach (Bright Lights and bog standard green self-seeding) looks healthy but is not really moving yet. Onions and shallots put in around November OK but not wonderful, yet. All garlic and elephant garlic up and thriving (planted November).

Anyone eat wild garlic? It's up all over the place outside my plots.

Sprouts useless and blown, never succeed with them, but I am using them as "spring greens", soft and sweet.

Flat leaved parsley: several plants have died but there are survivors just getting going - and some of the "dead" ones are surprisingly starting to sprout greenery around the edge of the dead looking root. All the curly leaved parsley has vanished.

It would be useful to have more reports about successes and failures.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2011, 19:20:00 »
It was clearly colder here... the red chicory survived. We always lift the red cabbage as it doesn't. Land cress is back, garlic mustard and french sorrel just showing.. Sprouts good, still got some. PSB most plants keeled over and rotted.. down to about 4 from 24..  :-X

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2011, 19:35:47 »
Is "garlic mustard" Alliaria petiolata? It's good stuff and grows all over the place - nibbled some today.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2011, 19:56:14 »
Probably.. also goes by the common name of "Jack by the Hedge"  :)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2011, 20:11:32 »
"Jack by the Hedge"

Exactly. All over the place. Can't think why it is not eaten by everyone. Also wild garlic leaves. Chopped into salads along with blander lettuce leaves.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #207 on: March 13, 2011, 14:21:52 »
down the road from you artichoke it sounds like a similar year, with a few differences  ;)  :)

Radiccio (Treviso - pointy leaves) has done superbly, the rounder ones less so. And not bitter
The Cicory / endive's have been a bit mixed, I pulled one the other day, yum - need to find out the variety as it was given to me by a mate
The Pal Spring Onions are still there
Pulled the last of the radishes yesterday, Hilds Blauer Herbst Und Winter and the spanish round did brilliantly
All the cabbages, leeks etc doing fine, I have a red leaved variety - January King that has done well, its hearting up at the moment, maybe worth a try next year
Just picked the 1st of the PSB, some heads had formed a month ago, while others have nothing to show yet. Bit of an odd year (mixed bag) for PSB
All the garlic has come through
Other lettuce (small plug plant size I sowed in Spet) have been planted out and are growing well
Kale, is mixed and looks like its going to bolt, but it has done well both in the garden and the plot
The Spinach (geant d'hiver) and a couple of other smaller leaved varieties, plus the chard (yellow stem one) are coming back into production, had a few leaves in the week and boy they were tasty. Must remember to sow more of both

Now roll on summer  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #208 on: June 29, 2011, 18:28:15 »
Bump, someone was looking XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal