Author Topic: a week in and only half cleared  (Read 1833 times)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
a week in and only half cleared
« on: December 06, 2004, 19:05:42 »
ive worked my puddings off this week spent 6 hours a day solid clearing the brambles and burning off the wicken grassi now have about 30 yards per side of clear ground there is loads of wicken but  ill get there in the end im still in the honeymoon period and keen as mustard but i hold my hands up and say it aint half hard work wish id taken photos now to see progress but  oh well not to worry  ppl keep comenting on how well im doing but i dont see the difference myself our lass keeps popping down with hot pies and coffee for me to chew on not seen any mice the last couple of days maybe the rats ate em and i got a friendly songthrushwho loves all the snails im supplying it and a black bird who loves forageing for worms as i digim going to dig out the beds soon and then im going to cover all one side in black plasticand leave it for a few month and concentrate on the other side to get some stuff planted into it i know there isnt much i can plant at this time of year but ill find summit may get some onions in   before xmas has passed ill keep u all posted on any problems and progress
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

ACE

• Hectare
Re:a week in and only half cleared
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 19:30:27 »
There are still eight hours of daylight, so why are you only doing half days, cut out the pies and coffee and stop talking and messing about with the birds. You might get some work done then ;D  Give yourself a pat on the back. Let the cold weather do the work of the plastic, the ground will be better for it.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 19:41:18 »
Mal I’m beginning to know how you feel it is very demanding task for a newbie and quite daunting, :-\ it has to be tackled a bit at a time, I know that now because to be quite honest at one point I was ready to pull the plug, :o (only been there a day too) having said that out of a dozen or so peeps that have signed up, there was only me and another guy turn up to do anything so far. ???
Keep smiling do a bit leave a lot ;D ;D  

mitzzy

• Quarter Acre
  • Organic goddess
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 09:38:44 »
I took weeks to clear half of mine . I did about an hour at a time depends on my asthma and child care :)  and the weather !

I still have about 1/4 to clear but i wanted to double dig a couple of beds before frost .

I have managed that so I am pleased with myself .

Mags

new allotment owner excuse my ignorance !

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 10:01:40 »
Well done Slyfox - you are doing really well.
And you are being sensible - doing half makes sense.

Don't forget, the digging season goes on through the spring too. Save some of what you have already dug for your brassicas - cos they like nice firm ground - not freshly dug. You can dig beds for things like beans, courgettes, lettuce etc at the last minute. And yes Heritage, I know that is not the absolutely pukka way of doing things, but sometimes you have to make do with the situation you find yourself in.

SB

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal