Author Topic: Possibly a daft question about potatoes and beans  (Read 1129 times)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
Possibly a daft question about potatoes and beans
« on: June 21, 2010, 20:09:59 »
We have a few 2nd earlies ( Kestrel)  at the end of our maincrop potato bed.  When they come out, what could we usefully put there until the maincrops come out?  I was thinking on the lines of dwarf french beans, as I have read that these are good as a green manure.  Would that count as the next crop in a rotation system, or could I still plant legumes there next spring, as was my intention? And could I sow beans when the maincrops come out, or would it be too late by then?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Possibly a daft question about potatoes and beans
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 20:25:24 »
None of the legumes are fussy about rotation, not being too demanding on nutrients and not accumulating soil pests.  Potatoes need a four-year rotation, but you could plant legumes in the same place without much trouble.  For example, it's not unusual to find people who grow their runners in the same place up a permanent frame.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 09:35:41 »
Yes, stick in  a little fertilizer and plant your beans. When they have given all they can, just chop them down, don't pull them out and let them rot back into the soil. I have always done that with my beans. By spring they will be just a memory...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 11:13:02 »
And could I sow beans when the maincrops come out, or would it be too late by then?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 19:44:59 »
Much too late I'd have thought.  I think your only options are peas and beans that will over-winter - Aquadulce Claudia broad beans, but I don't know pea variety off the top of my head, I think they can go in in October.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 19:55:16 »
Not sure when you're spuds are coming out, but could you sow some peas or beans in containers now to plant out after the spuds?
gone to pot :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal